SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
youreit

Patriots, Unite!

youreit
17 years ago

I thought this might be another good thread, since there are some things we want to post that don't necessarily have anything to do with the U.S. military. :)

Patriot, n., a person who loves, supports, and defends his or her country and its interests with devotion.

Ukiah Residents at Odds with City Council Over Huge Flag

A pending vote by Ukiah's City Council requiring a local resident to remove a large American flag from his property has some residents in the small Northern California town fuming.

Dave Hull and his neighbor Ric Piffero raised the giant 20-foot by 38-foot flag shortly after 9/11.

"We saw this happening all over the country on the news and just thought it would be a great thing to fly a flag up here where people could see it and enjoy it," says Hull, a lifelong Ukiah resident.

Piffero added, "It gives a person goosebumps. It does me, and to find anybody to find it an eyesore is pretty hard to take."

The Ukiah City Council is expected to ban the flag by a 3-2 vote, claiming the 45-foot pole on which it hangs violates the city's building height ordinance.

The flag, which is located on Hull's property in the hills to the west of Ukiah, can be seen from the center of town as it unfurls on windy days.

The controversy is so heated that council members chose not to comment to News10. However, the city manager did confirm that the council is concerned about "visual blight" created by the giant flag.

Local residents have their own opinions about the flag. Among them, Charla Reed of Ukiah. She said, "I think it's fine. It's not blocking my view. I don't think it's blocking anybody's view."

Petitions supporting Hull and Piffero have been circulating around town. Already 300 signatures have been gathered.

Piffero said that if the city goes ahead with its threat of declaring the flag illegal, he and Hull will consider legal action and perhaps take it to a vote of the people.

{{gwi:171054}}

Comments (13)