SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
donk4kyv

Japanese Beetle Mulch

AMRadiohead3885
16 years ago

I purchased one of those Japanese Beetle traps that has a sexual lure to attract the bugs, then traps them in a plastic bag.

The instructions recommend replacing the bag once it fills or if it begins to put out a foul odour, claiming the smell of dead bugs will repel the insects away from the trap.

My trap has attracted bugs in such large numbers that the dead bugs haven't had time to give out a particularly strong odour before filling the bag, but the stench is there. I never thought about the smell of dead insects, because one dead bug is so small that you don't notice it. But a bag full of decaying beetles smells identical to any other dead animal once the decaying process is in full swing.

So I got an idea. Instead of disposing of the dead bugs in the rubbish as recommended by the trap manufacturer, I tie the bag and place it in the hot sun until all the beetles are dead (it takes only a couple of hours), then I cut the bag open and empty the insects onto the ground in the garden just as I would manure. If the smell of the dead insects repels the live ones from the trap, it ought to repel them from the garden plants too, eh? Plus, like manure, the decayed bugs will eventually break down and serve as fertiliser in the soil. It would be a waste to dispose of this in the landfill.

Yes, you can smell the dead insects in the garden, but it is not unbearable. If it becomes so as the summer weather continues to warm up, I'll just bury the bugs instead of dumping them on top of the ground.

I'm also of the opinion that the scent of the dead insects may repel deer and rabbits. I have used "liquid fence" with success; it leaves a similar stench.

I'm just curious if anyone else has thought about trying this.

Don

Comments (12)