SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
calliope_gw

Euology to a Marmalade Tabby

calliope
14 years ago

{{gwi:170994}}

Goodbye, gentle fellow. He died in my arms this morning. A wizened old man of over seventeen years, he was the perpetual kitten at heart. Small and rangy, with notches in his ears from youthful confrontations he was the perpetual greeter in the morning, and chow hound. Friend and companion to my orphaned grey cat, keeping her company after the death of her mother. And she keeping him company after the death of my mother, to whom he was a companion. He is the last of my mother's animals. So, losing him was also losing a living link to her.

She rescued him many years ago when he was truly an alley cat. Her house was rich with kittens, so she gave him to my daughter to live on a farm. When she moved, he came back here to our house and often sheltered in the old hog barn, sleeping inside an empty milk can. Being intimidated by my barn cat, my mother took him back to her house. When she died, he came back to my house. He was in all respects a family cat and at home as long as he was with any of us.

He began turning into a spirit kitty several months ago, and since he was happy and comfortable, we watched him turn into the wisp of a cat what is that animal's eighth life. When he jumped on my shoulders, it was like a breeze with a purr. A week ago, it was obvious he was about to make that trip, and we visited the vet three days ago to see if I should help him get there. He rallied until yesterday when I found him restless and seeking hiding places. We both know what that meant. I was going to call the vet this morning, but at bedtime, he told me he might not be able to wait. He wanted near me, so I held him the entire night in my arms, and he quieted and rested in the warmth. He meowed when my husband awoke, as if in greeting, stirred a little and then left. Good-bye old Dietz.

Comments (20)

Sponsored
More Discussions