SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rootdoctor

Tobacco mosaic desease?

rootdoctor
17 years ago

Howdy all. I have a backyard garden that I amended last year with my own compost, leaf mold, some bone and blood meal, greensand, rock phosphate, composted manure, oyster shells, and deer manure. I did this in the late summer after I peeled the lawn off, then rorotilled it all in, let it sit 4 months, tilled in some river bottom topsoil, chunky ( with bark etc) topsoil, and tilled again, then in spring added prilled dolomite lime, and fox farms org fertilizer and tilled one more time. My results are amazing. The soil tests out to 5.9 to 6.3 wherever I test the ph, and my collards, mustards, peppers, and tomatoes are plentiful, and so far ahead of all the neighbors that they keep coming to me for answers. I do smoke cigars, and have added all my butts from the last 8 months or so to the garden as well. The tomatoes are starting to die from the bottom outer leaves in and up. They start as brown pin points, spread to orange and reds befor the entire leaf, then stem dies, brown and yellow. No other plants are affected. I recently found out that I may have added tobacco mosaic desease to the garden by adding the cigar butts. I don't own a digital camera, so I can't really send pics, but am wondering if there is a way to combat or kill this. Also wondering if it may affect the other plants as well? I appreciate any help and/or suggestions., I know the garden sounds too hot, but I have many years experience in organics, and establishing a prolific microherd to ensure good break down of all the major and secondary nutrients. Thanks again! RD

Comments (2)