SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
steve_77

orchid leaf trning brown / flacid

steve_77
15 years ago

Got a orchid for the house about 2 months ago, have kept it indoors, it has since bloomed and all, the pot is about 5" or so. It has a few ariel roots that look pretty dried, but the roods going into the woodchips look really green and plump. Water it when the chips dry out about once a week, or so. - anyhow i noticed the other day that one of the 3 big leaves at the bottom wasnt doing too well, and thinking it wasnt getting enough light etc. And put it outside in a very shady location, thinking this would help... nothing really changed, so i moved it back inside thinking perhaps not enough nutrients in the water so took some gardening soil and made a "tea" of sorts, and used the water to water the plant. Dont know what is going on, but one of the leaves continues to die, turning into banana color, the other two leaves and roots, and several flowers are very healthy looking just curious what might be wrong with the plant its 2 remaining leaves are about 6-7" and its stem about 12" with about 6-7 flowers. Is the pot too small? Im pretty new at this but would be nice to hear any suggestions on how we might save our orchid.

Comments (10)

• jemsta
    15 years ago

Is it turning brown and mushy, or drying out & yellow? If it's the first it's a bacterial infection and I would suggest removing the leaf, if it's just turning yellow that means the plant is using it up for nutrients. It's normal for the oldest leaf to die off, but usually not when the plant only has 3 leaves. Sounds to me like it could use a little more light (be careful not to burn it), so that it has more energy to support the blooms.
    ~Jem

• jane__ny
    15 years ago

Without knowing what type of orchid you are talking about (I assume its a Phal), its probably normal die-off. The plant may be making a new leaf and losing an old one.

• steve_77
    Original Author
    15 years ago

its a phal, dont see any new leaf buds but sounds like a good theory as light doesnt seem to make it any better, just hoping the 2 remaining leaves can provide enough life support for the rest of the plant - should i fertilize?

• jane__ny
    15 years ago

Do you have a photo? Without seeing how its planted I really can't advise. Forget the 'soil tea' and just get a fertilizer and give it a small dose and see if it begins to make new growth.

I see you mentioned a 5" pot. That should be fine unless for a plant with only 2 leaves. Increase the light and give some fertilizer and wait. Don't do anything drastic. It should start growing.

Jane

• mehitabel
    15 years ago

Can't be certain what is going on with your particular plant, but normal leaf loss in phals starts from the tip and works its way toward the stem.

Leaf loss that signals trouble starts at the stem.

A 5" pot is not too small, except for the biggest, honking godzilla phals. OTOH, 5" could be too big. Watering once a week could be okay, or could be too often. You need to balance water with air movement and light-- more light, more air movement, more water. Less light and less air movement, less water. Don't water until the pot *feels light*.

If the other leaves stay turgid you are okay. If they start to get flaccid, you need to check the roots, see if it needs a smaller pot.

• nitam39
    15 years ago

This isn't exactly a follow-up to leaf turning brown. We transport our orchids from Florida to northern IL each year. When we got to Kentucky we put them all outside our motorhome and one day the sun was waaaaaay too bright and one of my phals got totally sunburned. Of course, the leaves have disintegrated and now it has no leaves at all. The roots in the bark look healthy. Is there any chance it will generate new leaf growth? Or should I just give it a nice burial and try not to do that again.

NitaM in Seneca, IL

• jemsta
    15 years ago

NitaM, I would recommend trying not do it again whether this phal recovers or not :)

It's possible that your phal will grow a basal keikei and eventually recover. Be careful that you don't overwater since the plant has no leaves to supply the water to. However, even if this happens, it will take quite some time for the plant to recover. If you have the space and the patience to nurture this plant, keep it. Otherwise go and buy yourself a new plant.
    ~Jem

• orchid126
    15 years ago

It's not a good idea to use soil tea from the garden as you don't know what kind of pathogens you're introducing to the plant. Outdoors the plants can fend for themselves because it's a totally different environment. The plants grown indoors are a bit more delicate and easily infected. Orchids grow slowly and you won't see any changes in a day or two. Maybe even a couple of weeks. But you've gotten some good advice here.

• nitam39
    15 years ago

JEMSTA - thanks. Well, I'll probably just let it hang out with all the other phals and see what happens. If nothing by the time we go back to FL in the fall, it'll get the heave-ho.

• ANNAMARIA VECCHIO
    15 years ago

Well, I have a "similar" problem with my Den., the bottom leaves are all turning yellow and dropping. I do have a new cane and a flower stalk growing. It gets a lot of diffused light from my living room window.I did notice that some of the yellow leaves are sticky with some kind of clear "drops". Maybe it's a "pest".
    I'd appreciate any help!!!

Annamaria

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz