SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jazmynsmom

Asking for cattails... or water lilies... or watercress...

jazmynsmom
12 years ago

Sunflowers wouldn't be able to endure the wet feet. I don't need them, but my hometown (Bismarck, ND) sure does!

There are so many climate-change / weather related disasters going on right now, I guess I can't be surprised that what's going on in ND doesn't seem to be being covered in the nat'l (or even regional) media.

Bismarck is about to flood big time. The south part of it is going to stay flooded for up to eight weeks. Lake Sakakawea is overfull, and the Army Corps of Engineers is about to open the floodgates at Garrison Dam all the way (though that won't stop it from also being breached).

I have three aunts and two uncles who will almost certainly lose their homes (homes they've been in 35-40+ years), another aunt and uncle who will probably lose their home, and the sale of the home my parents built in 1977, which was supposed to be finalized today, has been put off until the 24th of next month at the soonest. (Can't blame a bank for not wanting to underwrite a mortgage on a home that's surrounded by three feet of sandbags. Flood insurance has a 30 day wait.)

Everybody that I know on the south side of Bismarck has moved the possessions out of their house in anticipation. They've ripped out cabinets, carpet and sheetrock to make the clean-up, if possible, easier. Traffic on the major through streets is blocked to all but a constant stream of dumptrucks, hauling load after load of sand to build an emergency dyke. Hundreds of homes found themselves on the wrong side of the dyke. People are being told "Take what you can, there's nothing that can be done." Technically, the advance notice is a blessing, but it sure leaves the imminently homeless feeling cursed.

My family has done nothing but move furniture and fill and stack sandbags for the past week. It's happening both suddenly and in slow motion. I'm frustrated that I'm not there to help, though I'm sure I'll be there for the clean-up... if there's anything left to clean.

Please keep these people in your thoughts and (if applicable) prayers. If you can spare any kindness or support in the aftermath, please remember them. They seem to be part of an ever-growing community of impacted communities. Not exactly the sort of club one wishes to join...

Here is a link that might be useful: Local news coverage

Comments (17)

Sponsored
More Discussions