SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sakmeht

phal leaf growth

sakmeht
16 years ago

Hi all,

Just a quickie here! I was wondering if the newest phal leaf will usually grow to its fullest length before starting on the next one? Reason I ask is because my phal has a nice healthy new leaf that's about 3/4 the size of the older leaves and I see a new leaf starting from the crown. Guess I'm wondering if I should worry about the care I'm giving it, or just wait it out.

The plant is in a west facing window with a sheer and is in a semi-hydro mix with sphagnum peat moss on top for moisture retention. I usually have it sitting in about 1/2 inch of water/fertilizer and then fertilize every week when it gets low. I flush the pot out (plastic) with distilled water (or tap if I'm lazy) every month. It had some root rot about 6 months ago when I checked it after blooming (it was on display and not near a great light source), but in the last few months (after moving to the west-facing window and putting a 23watt cfl on it) it started putting out leaves and big fat green roots... so I figure I'm doing something right. It didn't give me a spike this spring, but I'm thinking with the root rot it didn't have enough energy in reserve. Either that or it'll spike this summer for me. It's a NOID I got from Home Depot last year. And now that I think about it, the last bloom dropped last September, so it probably is a summer bloomer. Sorry for the essay, just wondering if I should be concerned over my leaf growth or just let it go for now. The only thing I can think of that might need to be changed is maybe giving it less light (reddish margins on newest leaf) and sometimes I forget to fertilize every week, and I'm thinking the fertilizer might lose it's potency since I have it sitting in a bowl and not a traditional semi-hydro set-up? It's a miracle grow 20-20-20...

Thanks all for your input.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor