SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
orchidnick

EC/TDS meter use in fertilizing bare-root plants

orchidnick
15 years ago

How much fertilizer to use is an old subject that has been beaten to death many times. Use 1/2 strength, don't over fertilize etc. Many threads on the subject but none that I can find specifically relating to bare-root plants.

My collection is 95% mounted/bare-root. Hot weather is here and there will be more of it so we are back to daily watering. Once again I'm twisting my brain to come up with the right amount of fertilizer. I use Grow More 20/10/20 which is Urea free. The Urea is no problem in potted plants as the bacteria convert it to usable form, bare-root plants are not surrounded by bacteria covered media so I think Urea free is better. I also add Sea Weed Extract, a little vodka and occasional beer (Vit B complex, beer is cheaper than Super Thrive). I sometimes give them some Horse Tea which I make from aged Horse Manure and use Epsom salts once a month.

I use a EC/TDS meter to monitor all this and my question relates to this rather than to what I give or don't give the orchids. How much ppm increase is best on a monthly basis for bare-root plants? All the literature refers to the amount a POTTED orchid should receive. A potted orchid is surrounded by the wet bark/moss/rock and gets watered once a week. It also gets fertilized either once a week or every 2 weeks. For this application the total increase in PPM should be roughly 200, give or take dependent to whom you listen. If your tap water measures out at 300, which is what mine usually does, then add 100 ppm every two weeks or 50 every week to get the desired 200 increase. Lets ignore other factors like ph for the moment, I do use Humic acid occasionally and also flush everything with clean water often but lets not get into that and keep the focus on ppm.

I water my bare-root plants once a week and usually bump the ppm content by close to 100. In addition I water daily and add a little, no more than 10 to 20, on a daily or every 2 days basis. This comes to a whopping 700 to 900 monthly increase. My plants seem to like it and thrive, I see no burnt root tips nor black leaf tips, so no sign of over fertilizing. Of course when they get watered, the wet roots are dry in a couple of hours so they do not soak in the solution like potted plants.

Other than observing the plants and letting them tell you whats right for them, which will always remain the best way to solve any problem, does anyone know how much to bump the EC/PPM level per month specifically for bare-root plants in a hot, non humid environment where the roots dry out fast. My plants appear to be doing well but there is always the nagging question if they would do better if I followed the instructions on the package or followed the general rule to give half of that.

Nick

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH