SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chelsears

To cut the spike or not?

chelsears
11 years ago

A few weeks ago, I had to do an emergency re-potting of my blooming Phalaenopsis--I was planning on waiting until it was done blooming, but it literally fell out of the pot, which it had outgrown. I bought a new plastic net pot and re-potted it in a bark mix, then went on vacation for about a week, fully expecting the blossoms (and possibly the rest of the orchid to be dead upon my return. It looked pretty good when I first got back, but it's been in a slow decline ever since: the flowers are fine, but the leaves, although still green, are a lot limper than they ever have been in the past. I recently found out that the new pot was probably too big.

I'm also having problems with root rot, which I think is all but unavoidable here in Madison, WI. (See picture of roots from initial emergency repotting.) It's never been too serious, but now I'm wondering if it's contributing to the problems my orchid is having now.

My question is this: should I cut the (thriving) flower spike so that my orchid can recover and grow some new roots? I've seen a lot of people suggest this for any orchid that's sick, but I hate to do it if it isn't necessary. I've never had an orchid grow a new spike and re-bloom before, and I'd hate to cut it off after only a month of flowers. I'm also concerned about cutting off any more roots, since almost all appear to be affected by the rot to some extent or another. Experienced phal growers, what would you recommend that I do?

Comment (1)