SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ahinkle_gw

Soil rehab in raised beds.

ahinkle
11 years ago

Hi I'm new to the forum. This is my second year gardening and my first year actually trying.

My wife and I built two raised beds 4'x4'x6" out of cedar and filled them with scotts topsoil and miracle grow in a 3:1 ratio. We underestimated the importance of good soil. We planted some transplants we got at the local garden center in the beds and nothing really grew very well. To be fair we also had quite an armyworm problem with our greens earlier in the season.

There is nothing growing in the beds at this time all the plants having died some weeks ago. I want to plant tomatoes in these beds next year and want to know if there are way that I can make this bad soil into better soil before then.

I broke it up with my hoe and it was very dry and clumpy. Also it was mulched with pine bark mulch previously and there are pieces of pine bark mulch mixed in with the soil now. It was the good aged pine bark mulch from calloway's. I have heard that there might be an issue with nitrogen tie up in the soil from wood chips. I came across another post in this forum that pine bark mulch (well they called them pine bark fines) would not tie up nitrogen.

I was thinking of just hilling up the soil and making the beds into compost pile type set ups till next year to try to take care of the bark mulch but alas I am a newbie.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Comments (12)