SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gnhelton

How long to water? 2 gallon per hr drip emitters?

12 years ago

I have a smallish vegetable garden(tomatoes, squash, peppers etc) 30-40 plants, and plumbing off the house to the garden and to a faucet . Off that faucet I run plastic 3/4 inch mainline through the garden, then tap off that at each row with 1/4 inch line with the drip emitters on that line. Each row would have 5-6 emitters on the 1/4 inch line.

We've had .26 of an inch of rain in since the first of May, and it's my understanding that a vegetable garden needs like an inch of rain per week. (True/False?)

And also I have figured (no sure on this) that to equate to a inch of rain each plant would need two gallons a week. But from past experience that garden does better when I run the system for 2 hours a week.

But does anyone know the best way to water with my setup and how much I should water with my system?

15 minutes a day ? 1 hour every other day? 2 hours once a week? Etc..Generally speaking what would best way to water that would most beneficial to my plants?

Thanks.

Also posted this on the irrigation forum but there doesn't seem to be much action over there.

Comments (2)