SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chrisaggie_gw

An amazing day - found Ghost Orchids!

chrisaggie
17 years ago

Today I woke up and decided that it would be a good day to explore a new area in search of the Ghost Orchid (Polyrhiza lindenii). Misti and I have headed out many times with this goal in mind and have have always failed in finding this plant. Today I went out solo and found (by accident) a nice little slough that looked like a good place for orchids. I found the normal clam shell and butterfly orchids and then on a pop ash about eye level I ran into my first ghost orchid! It was only 4-6" across, but I was ecstatic! I studied the plant and took photos. As soon as I turned around to search the slough more I soon realized that there were many of these amazing plants all around me!!! I spend the next several hours admiring these rare plants. I took photos to share. Please don't ask where this location was. I am not willing to share this information due to the potential risk to these plants. I hope you enjoy the photos! We plan to go back out in a month or so and take pictures of the plants in bloom. I saw 3 or 4 plants today with spikes started!

You can find the entire set here: http://flickr.com/photos/mistilittle/sets/72157600156879820/

My first ghost orchid picture

{{gwi:159800}}

In spike

{{gwi:159801}}

{{gwi:159802}}

{{gwi:159804}}

{{gwi:159806}}

Comments (30)