SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hamiltongardener

Where have all the ladybugs gone?

15 years ago

I've been doing the organic thing for a couple of years now and I have noticed an increase in beneficials like ladybugs, pollinators etc in my garden.

Suddenly, this year, they have not returned. I know there were plenty of ladybugs overwintering in my strawberries and oregano last fall, but no sign of them this spring. No bees or wasps have been around that I have seen, where last year there were plenty visiting. I'm starting to get worried.

On top of that, it have been a wet spring and my raised beds have been overrun with literally thousands of rollie-polies which are eating any low-lying leaves they can get to including my radishes, swiss chard and even the lower branches of the tomato plants. The toms they don't do too much damage, but they have devastated the radishes, eating leaves and even the skin of the root. (I just found out the other day that radishes are a trap crop for rollie-pollies. DOH!)

Also, I pulled a couple sickly and twisted garlic from my bed to find little worms on them! After some searching, I believe they are wireworms. Then I see a picture of the adult wireworm (click beetle) and realize I saw one in my garden the other day but left it alone, not knowing what it was.

So what has happened this year that made my beneficials disappear and brought in these bad bugs that I have never had a problem with before?

Comments (11)