SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ifraser25

My Top 10 orchid hybrids

ifraser25
12 years ago

I'm not really into hybrids, but I thought I'd have a go at listing my top 10 favorites and then welcome you to make additions.I don't have any particular criteria as they all have at least one outstanding feature.

In no particular order:

1.BLC George King. Large flowers, salmon pink with a darker red lip.Many different clones, all superb.

2 BLC Rodrigo Suzuki. They say size doesn't matter but this has the largest Catt hybrid flowers I've ever seen. Usually yellow with red on the lip. Unreal.

3.LC Trick or Treat, an old favorite. If you want traffic stopping orange this is the one to go for.

4.Vanda Pakchong Blue. Rich dark blue without a trace of purple with even darker spots and cross-hatchings. A tremendous performer into the bargain, flowering several times a year.

5.Vanda Mini Palmer.Hard to describe, greyish-mauve tesselations on a pastel grey-lilac background with an astonishingly contrasting brilliant deep sky-blue lip.Unique color combination.

6. Miltassia Sheldo Tolkien. Another one hard to describe. Dark purplish brown spidery sepals and a kaleidoscopic lip. Looks as though it was designed by Andy Warhol when he was on something.

7.Dendrobium Aussie Beauty. Complex hybrid of several Australian species. Can grow into an enormous plant. Recently posted here by Charles. I have a similar one, Red River, but this is better.

8.Paph Leeanum. Some find Paphs underwhelming but this primary hybrid is a true performer producing dozens of typical buff and brown "slippers". Grows to enormous size, but divides easily.

9.Phalaenopsis Brother Lancer. Got to have at least one Phal. Pale yellow background crisscrossed with tiny scarlet dots and a dark red lip. An absolute classic.

1. Zygopetalum Redvale "Pretty Ann". Rich dark purple-chocolate and violet, sumptuous and with a heavy scent.

And the winner is: Vanda Pakchong Blue. Enjoy.

Comments (2)