SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
orchidnick

The wand chooses the wizard, not the other way around.

orchidnick
11 years ago

I was watching a Harry Potter movie with my grand kids last night and was impressed that the wand chose the wizard, not the other way around. On the way home I thought that it is the same with orchids. At least with me, the orchids choose me, not me them.

I'm a heavy waterer who likes to douse everything every 2 to maximum 3 days. Some orchids love this, others hate it. Knowing this I have long ago concentrated on plants that like this and avoided others that don't. Since there are about 30,000 species and close to a million registered hybrids, there is no shortage of potential victims for me.

Another approach for me is to mount them, you cannot overwater mounted orchids. But even that does not work for some.

I go to our meetings with Maxillarias, Gorgonas, Pleurotallids and Masdevallias just to mention a few, with luxurious growth and an abundance of flowers and get hailed as a genius because of this. Others bring Dendrobiums covered with flowers which in my care wither and die. Even though I long for them I have long ago stopped wasting my money on them, they need to get dry between watering and that does not happen with me.

The point of this is to stop banging your head against the wall trying to grow stuff which does not like you and instead enjoy tremendous success with plants that thrive in the conditions you like to provide. Mother nature is the best orchid grower I know so simply research the environment a specific plant enjoys, if it's not what's the situation in your growing area, pass on that plant.

It's magic!!!!!!!!

Nick

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!