SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gandle

And then there were four

gandle
16 years ago

All that are left out of a class of sixteen when we graduated in 1943. WW2 was hard on the boys, we lost 5. To my shame I didn't recognize one of the guys, he was a good friend 60+ years ago but I hadn't seen him for at least 60 years. Donna, the one girl still living is still very pretty and like us has been married for 59 years.

The school we attended closed in 1962 and classes were consolidated with 2 other schools nearby but the building has been converted into a bed and breakfast and in a town of only 90 people there sure is no other place to stay. There is never a certain class reunion, all classes are honored, brother was there from Florida they sold their house in Florida and are moving to Nebraska after living there for 35 years. Tom said he was tired of hurricanes I hope he likes shoveling snow.

The oldest attendee was Wilma, a very young 88, she has outlived 2 husbands and is a very vigorous person. She invited several of us to her room for a nightcap and that gal likes them strong, fun talking to her though. Her father was the depot station agent and those were the days of the clicking telegraph key and the agent would go out to the tracks with a note tied on a hoop that the conductor would swing out and catch as the train went by. Wilma was known as a rather wild one when she was a kid, she had been known to sneak out of a window and go riding with Blackie D. in his dads model T. One of the guys asked her if her folks ever caught on and she said I probably wouldn't be here if they had. Harry, her dad was about half in the bottle all the time but was always functional but when he walked home from the depot he sure took up a lot of sidewalk.

Fun meeting with the group again but had to drive the almost 200 miles back home to decorate our childrens graves and I have to work at the museum tomorrow. Used to be gas was the minor cost of the trip back there but not now. Enough rambling.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH
More Discussions