SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
faerybutterflye

Questions about my Phal's brown spots on its leaves

faerybutterflye
11 years ago

I bought a phalaenopsis orchid at Sam's Club in January, it was on clearance from Christmas. It flowered beautifully for me for a several months. When it dropped it's last flower, I repotted it into a ceramic slotted orchid pot with fresh orchid mix & sphagnum moss mixed together. Its roots were very healthy, I only had to remove 3 by hand during the repotting. It's been doing great, has put out 3 new leaves & fresh root growth. We moved a couple months ago, but that didn't seem to bother the orchid at all. It moved from a northern window to an eastern window at our new place. I have a nifty moisture meter that I use to water when it gives me a reading of medium dry at the middle of the pot, usually about once a week or so. I fertilize with Orchid Plus 20-14-13, as directed. I mist it with water most mornings. The leaves developed a few brown spots. I was thinking that maybe when I sprayed it in the morning, the eastern exposure possibly gave it a sunburn on the leaves?

I got concerned though that it wasn't getting enough light, because the leaves were darker than the typical olive green that is desired. So I moved it to my bedroom, that has white walls that reflect the northern & western windows. It's up against a northern window, but gets significantly more indirect light than the eastern window.

Does this look like a sunburn or something more serious, such as a fungus, that I should really be worried about? All you Phal experts out there, help an amatuer out, please?

This post was edited by faerybutterflye on Tue, Apr 16, 13 at 11:30

Comments (3)