SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bcfromfl

Specimen plant on eBay

bcfromfl
16 years ago

Hi everyone --

I occasionally scroll through the listings on eBay, and was wondering just the other day why you never see specimen plants for auction? Is it because hobbyists generally don't want to spend the extra money on a plant and/or shipping, or is it because they prefer to get the enjoyment out of nurturing a seedling into a large plant -- even though it takes years? Or, on the seller's side, is it because they generally don't want to part with a plant that they've put so much time and effort into growing it well? What do you all think?

Anyway, thought you might like to see a listing for one such plant, linked below.

Bruce C.

Here is a link that might be useful: Caularthron bicornutum specimen on eBay

Comments (24)

• gands
    16 years ago

As a previous eBay seller I have to say I believe the main reason is shipping costs. Last year USPS Priority Mail rates sky rocketed. They went to a dimensional / weight system as opposed to a distance weight system they used for years. This made it extremely expensive to ship a medium sized plant much less a large plant. For instance I could send a 14" tall plant almost anywhere in the country for about about $8-12.00 under the old system. That same plant could cost $18-34.00 now because of the size of box it has to be packed in. Anything over a square cubic foot (12" x 12" x 12" box) has a surcharge put on it. Hard to put a large plant in a 1 foot box. And it means just that a "square" box, even if your dimensions are a cubic foot, rectangle boxes cost more than square boxes. I believe these new shipping charges have had a drastic effect on all medium to large plant sales, eBay or otherwise.

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

I tend to agree... shipping costs have risen, and it's both more difficult and more expensive to ship a larger, heavier plant across the country. Plus, I think most people would rather spend less and grow their own plant to maturity. I think that if you've spent years nurturing an orchid to specimen size, you'd rather keep it!

I have seen a few specimen sized orchids for auction. They cost way more than I want to spend, or can afford, for an orchid! I want the satisfaction of growing and blooming my own plants, so I'd rather buy younger ones.

• Related Discussions

New plants from eBay

Q

Comments (9)
    Nice plants. My only question is about the Haworthia 'Lime Green'. Maybe because it is a small seedling, it doesn't look anything like H. 'Lime Green' which is an H. truncata variant that has "lime green" leaves rather than the darker green usually seen in this species. With age, it may develop the typical distichous leaves.
    ...See More

Does anyone buy plants on eBay?

Q

Comments (9)
    I am a frequent ebay buyer. I have a few bad experiences, but far more good ones than bad...but if you use paypal you can get a refund when a buyer is bad...the best thing to do is read a persons feedback, not JUST look at the percent...read WHAT people write and also beware that you can have a decent percent feedback as long as your selling thousands a month, so read and decide in that manner. I bought many of my hostas that way and got lovely large plants and my brunnera also. I have also bought many garden decor that way too...I love one stop shopping from my living room in my jammies. I buy only what I am looking for, not impluse buys as I am passing aisles by in the store. I just bought a hot tub this week. Three years old only with a small leak (which my husband fixed in a couple hours) for just four hundred dollars. The seller even delivered it for a small fee. As long as you do your research and pay with paypal, you will most likely have a good experience. Depending tho on the sellers zone and your zone. Heat at this time of the year can bake a plant during shipping and turn it to slime. I would take that into consideration before buying in July and Aug.
    ...See More

Seeds or plants from eBay

Q

Comments (1)
    Its a lottery. Some people are selling quality plants and seeds at a sensible price, others are selling stuff at ten times the price you could get it elsewhere (if only you know where!), others are selling stuff that is either dead or not at all what is implied in the description. I can suggest a few good sellers for cacti and succulents, not for much else. You should also be aware that any live plant sent from outside Europe is liable to confiscation, except for the unlikely event that it has all the right permits. Seeds are a little safer but have still been known to be confiscated, this is especially true of the larger vegetable seeds (such as beans!).
    ...See More

Do my plants roots look ok? eBay purchased.

Q

Comments (0)
    I have just purchased this adenium off of eBay and I just repotted it. Can anyone tell me if the roots look ok? I'm new to this and I don't want to kill it! How hard are the roots supposed to be? One of the larger ones was maybe the absolute tiniest bit soft. I apologize for the sideways photos. I'm new to Houzz.
    ...See More
  • rita_h
    16 years ago

I wonder at what point a plant becomes a "specimen"... ? The plant on auction looked ok but I thought it would be bigger...

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    16 years ago

Must chime in about the shipping costs. A couple of days ago, I took a box to the PO to be mailed. It was very light weight, but the guy informed me because of the size it would cost $18 to mail Priority. I took it back home, chopped down the box a couple of inches and took it back. $6 to mail.

K

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

What does constitute a specimen? I'm just a novice with only a few young orchids, at this point.

Some of the "specimens" I've seen have been a lot larger than the one in question, and were in HUGE pots with lots and lots of blooms. That one looks to be large, but not overly so...

How big does an orchid have to be to qualify as a "specimen" plant?

• bcfromfl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Good points, everyone. I think "specimen" is a subjective term, and means slightly different things for different species. Some orchids keep pseudobulbs and leaves alive for many seasons, so, therefore, they can become pretty impressive looking. Other species that don't have the longevity to the leaves may be "old" and well-grown, but don't have quite the ability to form dense clumps -- at least ones that the average hobbyist can achieve.

Just MHO...

• richardol
    16 years ago

"Specimen" on eBay seems to be one of the miss-used terms, like "rare". In this case, the seller seems to think that "large enough to divide" make it a specimen plant. I was expecting to see something more than twice as big as that.

Part of the answer is shipping cost, part of it is the market. Usually, if you do the math of selling multiple smaller pieces versus one large plant, the total favors the smaller plants and more people want smaller plants.

• bcfromfl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Maybe there are "categories" of specimen -- LOL! Like, specimen definition #1 is a plant that's much larger than ones the average hobbyist can grow, and is a remarkable individual plant, and then specimen definition #2 is something that's been growing for fifty years and you need a forklift to move it!

• bcfromfl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

...and to further that thought, how would an eBay seller denote a larger plant in his description so that people may be inclined to stop and take a closer look? There are so many pages using the keywords, "orchid species", I confess I don't look through them all. If words were used that described it beyond the usual seedling, I would stop and look.

• Sheila
    16 years ago

One thing I enjoyed at the WOC back in January was seeing all the 'forklift' type specimen plants. They really 'Wowed' me! Until that moment in time, specimen for me was a catt I currently have in bloom, 8" pot, 7 spikes, each with 4-7 blooms/buds.

The eBay plant is indeed beautiful. Would I pay $90.+ for it? I don't think so!

Sheila :)

• sambac
    16 years ago

I got a similar plant with 15+ pbs, 7 spikes( still blooming)at the WOC for 15 bucks- supposedly bare root- but it had so many roots it took a 6 inch pot very comfortably. $85 bucks for that- no way.
    Having said that it has a delightful fragrance which was a pleasant surprise. It has been in bloom for over 3 months now- great plant!

• toyo2960
    16 years ago

I agree, shipping costs are incredibly high. I've shipped plants FedEx or UPS Ground cheaper than USPS Priority and the plants were fine. I'm sure that with the rising air fuel costs, it is also effecting priority shipping. As for what constitutes a "specimen" plant, that's such an old term. A well-grown plant with numerous branching leads would constitute a "specimen" size plant. In a separate blog, we talked about Keiki Grow. I spray a diluted solution of Keiki Grow on all my catt's psuedobulbs dormant eyes. It has worked an I've been getting multiple leads. If you really want to see specimen size orchids, check out the AOS awards quarterly and find CCM awards (Certificate of Cultural Merit). Whether it's a mini-catt hybrid, sophronitis species, or a basket of lycastes, you will see glorious specimen plants. For many of these plants, they were also grown in or on a medium that doesn't readily break down. A lot are in baskets or mounted. I grow cattleyas exclusively so when my plant gets very large, I usually cut it up. I don't have the room for a giant size plant of it. I usually always keep two large divisions for myself to repot and then trade away the left-overs.

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

Ok... so, a "specimen" orchid is one that, for its type, is so large and beautiful it makes you exclaim, "Yowza!"... does that about cover it?! I only hope to have one that fits the "specimen" description some day!

I realize that an auction can draw more lookers if certain key words are used in the title and description, but I really wish people would quit using the term "rare" for plants that are a dime a dozen! I hate scrolling through countless listings just to find the truly rare items!

• toyo2960
    16 years ago

jodik, yes you can have any orchid plant a specimen size plant when, for it's type, it is growing in multiple leads (if it is sympodial) or if a monopodial, it is large for its size and may have multiple inflorescences. As far as "rare" that is a b.s. term unless you know what you are talking about. Rarity is what it means: rare. So much of what is described on Ebay, be it an orchid or a piece of Stickley furniture (which I collect) is all hooey. You have to educated as a buyer. Much of what is listed as "rare" is fairly common. Sometimes you will indeed find a rare plant on Ebay. (or Stickley for that matter). Buyer beware. Know what you are looking for. Unfortunately, nothing on Ebay is vetted. A problem with such a huge online auction. Sometimes I just write a note to the seller complaining that the plant he/she is auctioning is NOT rare. Or described improperly. Sometimes they are nice about it. And change their description. Sometimes they just blow me off. I don't really care. But I do care when buyers get ripped off. It would be great that items be vetted and there would be an attachment where a blogger or expert can verify an item. Even pictures are deceiving. I really want to look at the picture of the real plant for sale rather than a stolen photo of the flower. I don't buy from a seller if he/she doesn't have a real and current picture of the plant. Unless I know the seller.

• garyfla_gw
    16 years ago

Hi
    I think it remarkable that anybody buys on E bay at all lol Have yet to see anything reasonable let alone a bargain.lol Of course I have the advantage of having so many local vendors and I can avoid shipping by picking them up at local sales. As fuel goes higher and higher this is probably the only way to shop.
    What i miss is the old vendors who would sell a small cutting for a couple of bucks . I know it's not cost effective anymore but i always figure that if a plant grows well I'll soon have a large one if not I can kill a smaller one MUCH cheaper lol gary

• richardol
    16 years ago

Fuel costs and the cost of space in shows is convincing some smaller vendors that I know to go all eBay. I think that there are some nice enough plants on eBay if you are careful.

Some of us on the forum sell excess plants on eBay. I am just getting my feet wet this year, in fact, and I like to think that my plants a good deal. And not everybody has a local vendor beyond the Big Box stores if they want to expand their collection.

• bcfromfl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Just FYI, this seller has another plant up...this time, a mounted Den. palpebrae. Looks like a nice plant again!

-Bruce C.

Here is a link that might be useful: Den. palpebrae on eBay

• sambac
    16 years ago

Bruce C, you are keeping a close eye on this guy -aren't you, Dend palpabrae does look nice!!!

• Charm
    16 years ago

I sold several large mounted orchids on ebay last fall, Shipping about murdered me.....I under estimated the cost and it wasn't funny!...I am very careful now when I list them...USPS isn't playing!~Charm

• toyo2960
    16 years ago

I do have to say that this person who is selling the diacrium and dendrobium is selling a pretty good size plants. As long he/she isn't saying they are rare: these plants aren't. Especially a diacrium. But always beware of the "rare" word. There are people/persons selling mature mericlones of Blc. Oconee 'Mendenhall' on Ebay and getting hundreds of dollars for it. Ridiculous. Oconee mericlones are about as ubiquitous as finding a piece of Lc. Drumbeat. The seller is calling the plant rare. B.S!!! Try finding an original piece of it. As always, buyer beware.

• jerry_meola
    16 years ago

I am a commercial nursery and have a comment on both issues.

USPS is sending their packages FedEx so that is the reason for the volumne pricing. Air freight has always been priced by volumne or weight whichever is higher.

Shipping cost is high for a single plant but usually you can ship 5-6 for the same price. I recently had a dozen 4 foot tall grammatophyllum in bud shipped FedEx second day air from Hawaii (actually a day and a half with time changes)that weighed 8 pounds a piece. Shipping $7 each and 1.50 of that was box and packing charge. FedEX got $5.50 for each 8 pound plant.

I have to compete with other growers and most including myself cap their shipping cost at $25 a shipment.

As to specimum plants, it is just not profitable to grow them. A rough rule of thumb for a grower is that your cost of the plant doubles every year. So a $15 4 inch cattleya goes to an 8 inch pot in 3-4 years so the retail value would be 15-30-60-120. No one will pay $120 so most Florida (and Hawaiian) growers are not raising anything past 4 inch pots. Anything larger just was difficult to sell - not truely grown as a specimum.

Also 2 eight inch pots take the same space as 15 4 inch pots or 40 2 inch pots. It is not hard to get $15 each for the 4 inch pots or $7 for 2 inch pots. Even with acreage, table space is expensive.

As to rare, you all see mericlones offered. Any orchid (with the current exception of paphs and phrags) can be cloned. If it is 'rare' I can get you 2000 clones (minimumm order for cloning). Rare is usually the term used for "scare because so few people what to buy it". If it was popular it would be available.

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

Personally, I enjoy shopping on eBay... I've gotten some really nice items over the years, and most at excellent prices. I'm able to find items that might not be available locally.

Shopping the auctions and the "buy it now" listings simply requires some common sense and knowing what you're looking at... I recently got a lovely cymbidium on eBay from a great seller, and at a very good price... shipping was quick, reasonable and packing was well done. The plant is healthy, and it's growing nicely.

It's very convenient to have items delivered right to my door, and I enjoy looking at all the listings. Plants aren't the only things I've gotten from auctions... I've received boots, clothing, jewelry, plants, bulbs, etc... I've also sold a few items, and been very happy with the results.

I think it's a good way to buy things when you can't get out to shop locally all the time, and it's a good way to recycle items that you don't use anymore, but still have lots of life left. The key is using common sense... it's that simple. Sellers can be checked by reading feedback, and reading the entire listing... you can do the math to see if it's too costly or not on the shipping plus the item... you can set a limit on how much you're willing to bid for an item... and you can protect yourself by using PayPal.

So far, I've been thrilled with my purchases and happy with my sales... I can't complain too much about eBay. Some things are a bit annoying, like the over-use of the word "rare"... but again, if you use your common sense, shopping there can be a pleasurable experience.

• cbarry
    16 years ago

I sell on eBay fairly frequently during warmer weather because I don't have heat packs. I would far rather offer the orchids here, but we're not supposed to sell here. I'm going to try Craig's list or Orchid Mall, but I have some larger ones, so shipping will be a pain and expensive, so I'd rather find a local purchaser.

I've had good luck buying and selling. I mostly sell to make room and to cut down on the collection. I've had repeat buyers, so I must be doing something right!

• jodik_gw
    16 years ago

I've repeatedly purchased from a few different sellers... if the first item I get from a seller is packed well and shipped in a timely fashion, and I think the item is worth the price I paid, I'm sure to keep checking their other items looking for another great buy.

My pet peeve with sellers is poor packing... there's no excuse for not protecting an item that you've just been paid for. My husband once received an empty business sized envelope in the mail with a hole at one end... the item purchased was an Ipod Nano. Needless to say, he contacted the seller and was compensated for the missing, poorly packaged item. This is one aspect of using common sense... making sure that the item you just sold gets to its destination in one piece. You have to think about what will happen to an item after it leaves your hands... if it's in an envelope, it will be run through machinery to cancel the postage... if it's boxed, it will get jostled and dropped, so it's wise to fill in any spaces around the item with packing material. That's all just common sense!

I'm a huge believer in USPS Flat Rate Priority Mail boxes... they're free from the USPS, and you can order them online and have them dropped at your door. The cost of shipping one is not much when you consider how much you can stuff in one, and the fact that your item will reach its destination rather quickly. And if you print your labels and pay for them online, delivery confirmation is a free bonus.

So far, I've been pleased with my experiences through Ebay... and I'll keep monitoring listings, looking for my next "must have" item!