SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
twc1929

Green beans, pests

twc1929
13 years ago

I've been growing pole beans for a ton of years--including 48 years at my current address. Never much trouble. However, this year, I've had a lot of the lacy pattern left on leaves (in addition to a lesser amount of slug-like gnawing).

I haven't identified the culprits. I've been wondering about sow-bugs (or whatever their fancier name is). The only gardening differences this year have been a dearth of sunshine through the entire spring and early summer (tomorrow is July 4)--and the fact that I mulched the entire planting area with straw before setting in bean plants. I well could have some pest lurking in the straw manner in which the leaves generally are "lacified" leads me to doubt that . . . unless sow-bugs, which thrive throughout my garden, tend to eat in that manner.

I have tried Sluggo and using a vegetable dust on the leaves. As I've never found any pests on the leaves during the day, I haven't tried Safer's Soap--which is more of a direct contact solution, as per aphids and the like.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County