SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kate_grow

potting depth

17 years ago

Hi all,

I have tried keeping orchids on and off for a while with mixed results and I am valiently trying again as I think my currently living quarters are more suitable for them. My question is about potting techiniques. I have looked around the forums and various internet sites but I am not quite seeing what I want to know.

Here's the situations. I recently bought a couple of phals that seem to be potted in an unusual way. they are in plastic pots (with drainage) then in clay with drainage... so I think they are ok that way but they have been potted in sphagnum moss rather high up the plant and there are two plants in a pot.

I am under the impression that the moss should only come up to the level of the lowest leaf, these have several leaves under moss and indeed the flower spike is comming up through the moss.

My instinct is to pull the moss away from the leaves so they don't rot and when it finishes flowering to repot it in a more normal way, but on the other hand the plants seem really healthy and are well established in the pots with great root systems (that I can see in the clear plastic pots) and there are no signs of rot at all in the leaves... opinions please??

Oh and what do you think of them having two plants in one pot? again they seem happy but I keep wondering why they would have been planted like this.

Kate

Comments (4)

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012