SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andee_gw

Update: red hot smoking Toro

andee_gw
16 years ago

I posted earlier that after finishing mowing and I had let go of the handle, the engine started giving off gray smoke that intensified, and the side of the engine that I could see was red hot. It is still under warranty (about 5 mowings over 13 months). Some of you guessed that a rodent had built a nest.

This is what the dealer/repair shop said: "It was the stop wire that came off its contact." They replaced the wire, switch, and blower housing. They also wanted to do a service job of sharpen blades, and new air filter and spark plug.

He couldn't explain why the engine didn't stop immediately when the stop wire came off unless it was a coincidence that it happened at the same time as I released the handle.

I told them "no" on the (expensive) service since I didn't think after so few mowings that I needed a new spark plug.

I think my worry at this time is that the stop wire came off as a consequence of something else. I just don't understand how the engine got so hot with a "kill" wire off.

I'd much appreciate an explanation from the forum, if you have one. (The original post is copied below.)

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/lmower/msg1109530214389.html?4

Comments (5)