SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lonestar245

LB engine swap - crankshaft question

lonestar245
14 years ago

I have a couple of cheap Lawn Boy mowers- classic deck design, rear wheel drive, but 4 stroke Tecumseh engines. One is model #10302 and the other is 10313.

I am thinking of swapping one of the bad engines for a new Tecumseh engine. I have seen them on eBay (small engine warehouse) that have the following crank description: "5/8" x 3 5/32" Externally Threaded Step Shaft" and they say it is for the BBC models. Mine do not have BBC, BUT, they do have a stepped crank, and the bottom portion is tapered with exterior threads- which fit the flat LB blade adapter.

So, do my LB's have the same shaft as these BBC models? If so, I am thinking I could change the motor and everything should bolt right up. Am I missing something?

One thing I cannot tell about the new BBC engine- if it has a keyway for the drive pulley at the top. I have never messed with a LB that had BBC- so I am just guessing here.

Maybe it would make more sense to go with the more typical straight shaft engine- full keyway, internal threads and get a new blade adapter and bolt? If I go this way, I am guessing the shaft would need to be shorter since it wont be coming through the blade.

Anyone have any experience in this area?

Comment (1)