SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scottplumerias

Container culture vs. soil culture

scottplumerias
16 years ago

We are trying to figure out more about our mixes on a Plumeria forum.

I know the bonsai guys are pretty good with container culture but I have a general question about soil I thought you guys might be able to help me/us with: how can things grow in the ground in such poor soil, clays and the like, while in pots, we have to be so careful about drainage and water retention.

What am I missing here?

I saw someone mention that soil is a very complex system and when it is brought into a pot, it is held hostage and doesn't act the same way. I understand this, but how is the opposite true? You take a container plant and put it in the ground and even though the ground has less aeration, it loves it. I look at my Maple trees and the soil is much more compact than in my pots. But the trees do fine. So do the bushes. So does the grass. Yes, the grass needs to be aerated once in a while but I don't need perlite for my bushes or for my trees. Well, I know I need to break up the soil and amend it when I plant them, but after that they seem to be ok. They don't need to be repotted either. I know also, that there is nothing to cause the roots to bind/or cause circling in the ground(assuming there is no left over concrete buried in your yard lol,) yet solving this problem in a container -getting a big a pot- can cause root rot. So much less leeway in pots! I have done some reading on CEC ratios. And porosity/drainage.

It just seems like ground soil has much less aeration than a pot and yet they do fine. Why is this? I know the ground temperature is much more even. But the aeration thing has me stumped. (npi)

In the past we have just referred to the whole issue with terms like "pot stress" etc. Maybe I just need someone else's frame of mind on the issue.

I would be grateful for any insights/links on this.

Thanks

Scott

Comments (5)