SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hoyabeginner

Please help! Are these molds on my orchid root?

Hoyabeginner
11 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I just got a new paphiopedilum in hydroculture a few days ago through mail order. It is called Ghostly Pulsar. Today, while I was observing the buds, I found a fallen petal on the clay aggregate...when I picked it up to discard, I saw this white mold like thing on what I think is root...but from what I read, I thought orchids grown in hydroculture pot rarely have root rot problems because they are water roots?

The orchid was received on wed, and I watered them according to the instruction(half way between opt/min on the water guage)...and never watered it again or even misted....the window exposure is more Southern exposure(it is actually western exposure, but a mirror building in front reflects all morning sun....so it is bright all day like southern exposure) with shaded windows(dots on windows to provide shading)...and I live in Las vegas, NV, where it is dry year round...and no humidifier at home....

Can someone please help me identify if these are molds, and if they are, what should I do next?

Comments (12)