SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fernhillhall

Compost stuck at 85-90 degrees

fernhillhall
13 years ago

I'm completely stumped.

For the past few years I have not been able to get my compost hotter than 85-92 degrees. I have 3x3x4 black covered bins that I start in late March 3/4 full with an aprox. 50/50 mix, (by volume), of oak leaves and various greens such as kitchen scrap and coffee grounds saved and frozen throughout winter, a few shovels of composted horse manure, a few shovels of soil, and of course wet down to damp sponge feel as I build. I mix every week or so and continue to add greens through the spring, and of course keep it all moist. At the end of fall I only have half composted material that has never gotten past toasty warm. It will take another year to finish. The end result is good, but it has never gotten hot enough to kill weed seeds, or finish the process in one growing season.

This year I bought a compost thermometer to see if I could heat things up by adding more strong greens. I used the same materials, but this time I wet it with dilute fish emulsion and, (I hate to admit), threw in a few handfuls of compost starter. I watched and waited. The temp went up to 85, hovered for a couple of days then dropped. I turned and added a handful of kelp meal, a couple of handfuls of corn mean, more greens, more grounds, and watered with fish emulsion mixed with a little molasses. The temp went up to 92 then fell a couple of days later. Good smell, nice brown decaying of leaves, lots of worms and other crawlies, but no high heat.

I'd like to give this one more try before I give it up and just appreciate my reliable two year compost. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I wonder if I need more N in the pile, but how can that be with the fish emulsion, the manure, and the 50/50 mix? What am I missing or doing wrong?

Thanks, Fernhillhall

Comments (7)