SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
silver77_gw

Phals

silver77
17 years ago

My brother just gave me eight large white phals that his work was discarding into the trash can after they bloomed. I have had so much bad luck with phals in the past, I need help.

They have spent the last six months under office flourescent lights with NO sunlight. The leaves look dark green and sort of limp. The spikes are still green. There are some nice silver aerial roots on some, but others have shrived looking aerial roots. The plants seem bone dry. Im not sure they were ever watered or fertilized.

I am planning on placing at least one of these phals next to my paphs and jewel orchid outside on my patio balcony where it gets morning sun and bright shade the rest of the day. How well do they do outside? The rest are going inside near a sunny window. I have killed so many in the past, please advise how I can recover them.

What if I placed one in a hanging basket on my patio with spag? I could let it hang down like in nature. Has anyone ever done this successfully? How often would this type of arrangement need to be watered? COuld I make a basket out of metal wire by myself and stuff it with spag?

Im willing to try anything new and different to keep them from dying, as I have killed all my previous ones (5) with the more traditional methods such as bark/ spag in an orchid pot and also lava rock hydro.

Comments (4)