SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tetrazzini

slug questions

tetrazzini
17 years ago

this year i'm trying for the first time not tilling in my vegetable garden. i laid compost and a thick layer of aged manure on top of the vegetable beds in the spring, and planted peas and fava beans right into it. (the manure had a lot of straw in it still, but i believe the manure itself was old, judging from its location in the pile i dug it from, and the lack of any manure odor.) now the fava bean plants have a lot of slugs, and the peas a few. i just did a search on slug control and see that mulch and compost should be kept away from the plants.

question one: how do you deal with slugs in this type of pile-the-mulch-right-on-the-beds and plant into it type of gardening? is that the problem, or might it have something to do with the manure not being completely broken down?

more questions: when and where do the slugs reproduce? do they lay eggs on leaves? do they continually reproduce, or have a brief window of opportunity during the spring? if left unchecked, do they vacation all year in the garden, overwinter, and live to lay eggs again next year? then die after laying eggs? maybe this is better asked in the insects forum... does anyone here know?

thanks,

debbie

Comments (5)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH