SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grasswhisperer

Toro running like it's running out of gas - sporadically

grasswhisperer
15 years ago

Hi -

Have a Toro Recycler model 20031.

It's been running fine, but last time out it suddenly ran as if it was running out of gas. In fact - it sputtered more and more until it actually died - I thought for sure it had simply run out of gas, only to find it still have half a tank.

The gas is not old, relatively speaking (probably 1-2 months old now.)

The odd thing is, the mower started up again and ran horribly for 5-10 minutes as if it were running out of gas. I shut it down, tinkered around a bit (basically did nothing) - at one point I had lifted the mower to check under the deck. I say this only because I wonder if I transfered some fuel within the carb or fuel line, because:

I then started the mower up again - and it ran like a dream for another 30 minutes. Only near the end of the 30 minutes did it begin to slightly sputter again.

I can only assume this is a fuel issue. The mower was just tuned-up, and as I mentioned, ran perfectly during the prior 2 mowings. I read recently about a Toro Tecumseh engine running poorly and the carb being cleaned just a bit. Also understand that STABIL might be helpful.

But I guess I'm wondering - why would my mower run so poorly, but only to then run like a dream a few minutes later after being turned off - all with the same gas? Did it have to do with the fact that I "tilted" the mower for a few seconds while checking under the deck? Honestly I didn't really do anything else that would have made difference.

I'm a novice with small engines, but would like to learn more and obviously I'm hoping to keep my mower running like new as long as possible.

Any insight greatly appreciated.

Comments (23)