SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sunny_dee_gw

Peppers & Fusarium?

12 years ago

I've been frantically reading literature about diseases in peppers in order to prevent the problem that I had last year. However, I feel like I'm reading myself in a circle.

I grew most of my peppers from seed last year and they looked good until I introduced 2 pepper plants from a questionable source. I think they infected them with something, because you could see the disease spreading right up the row from plant to plant like fire. I had no production of fruit and it was a total loss. I feel like there were several factors involved in their demise.

First, in fear of cut worms, I used small tin cans for collars and I think I buried the cans too deep b/c when I pulled up the whole plant the root system looked like it had just balled up inside the can area alone therefore making a weak plant. Maybe a watering issue too preventing the root system from moving downward? I plan on using cut toilet paper rolls this year.

Secondly, I was watering over head for the first half of the season. I will water only at the base of the plant from now on.

Third, I had a soil test done this spring and everything looks good. Ph is 6.0, phosphorus is in the medium level, potassium very high, calcium and magnesium is medium. Organic matter is 6%.

Lastly, I don't have a lot of space for crop rotation, but I will plant the peppers 2 rows over from the row last year. However, I have to put tomatoes in the contaminated area and I'm afraid of infecting them. Yikes!!

The plants exhibited these symptoms: They started getting necrotic lesions (brown spots) over all the leaves, which the leaves then turned yellow and dropped making the plants almost bare. Any flowers dropped as well. My first thought is that it had a fusarium problem but I'm just not sure. I don't think it's bacterial leaf spot or mosaic because it is described as having a raised area on the spots like a pimple but the leaves did not have that.

What can I do to avoid this problem this season? I don't want to use just cultural methods. I feel like I need to do a preventative measure such as a neem spray every 7-10 days. I've also considered adding cornmeal to the planting hole but I'm reading mixed results/opinions on that. I am willing to do just about anything except use anything non-organic. The whole point of growing my own garden is to NOT poison my family and friends. Please help me! Thank you for your time in advance.

Comments (4)