SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

Ant hills increasing after new garden area finished..help?

Hi,

I just did a search for posts on ants in this forum and found a couple. Some asked why not live and let live? Some suggested sugar/borax, some flooding with water to make them move on.

Ok, so starting from that point. I don't want to kill off all the ants. I wouldn't use pesiticides organic or otherwise if I could help it. I would like to have a manageable amount of ant hills. We just finished a patio using pavers and ground stone dust and a vegetable area that is completely mulched with bark mulch. They haven't invaded the patio yet, but in the past two days I have counted 8 new ant hills around the edge of the mulched area and in the adjacent lawn. That seems like a lot. We already have ants living in one of our raised concrete block veggie beds.

I don't understand why they are so abundant this year with all the rain, we have been pretty wet. More than usual. But, I think I will try pouring water down the ant holes that are inconvenient to see if they will find a new location. I am keeping a close eye on the new patio. I would be pretty unhappy if they invade that area. Is that likely with stone dust rather than sand?

How many ant hills are reasonable to expect to have around the yard?

that yet, but

Comments (5)