SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
miami13dol

Multiple palm tree ID help

miami13dol
10 years ago

I live in Southwest Florida and have been growing palms from seed for a bit over a year with seeds I have collected around the neighborhood. I currently have a lot of varieties commonly found around here including coconut, royal, queen, areca, adonidia, sabal, clustering fishtail, foxtail, and zahidi date palms. Most of these have outgrown the germination racks and are taking up space in my small lanai but I felt the itch to start some new seeds and want to make sure that I get the IDs correct for any I collected.

This first group I thought were carpentaria palms, but after looking at pictures of those and Alexander palms, I can't seem to distinguish the two.
{{gwi:198154}}
{{gwi:198155}}

The second cluster of palms looked similar to the Adonidia/Christmas tree palm, only larger than most of the specimens around here. In addition the seeds were larger than the Adonidia palms I have collected before, and much too large to be carpentaria or Alexander palms. The fruits are roughly 1" across and 1.5" long.
{{gwi:198157}}
{{gwi:198158}}
{{gwi:198159}}

This last palm looked very interesting but unfortunately, had no fruit. Its distinctive features should make it easy to identify but I've never seen anything like it and have no idea where to begin. I will have to check this one frequently so see if it sets fruit, I would love to start one of these unique palms!
{{gwi:198160}}
{{gwi:198161}}
{{gwi:198162}}

Any help identifying these palms would be greatly appreciated!