SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jamie_mt

Phal in full sun, then?

jamie_mt
16 years ago

Greetings, all. I dropped by this forum to read the faqs on whether or not to cut the "used" spike on a clearance no ID phal I bought at Lowes the other day (seems to be personal preference and how to direct the plant's energy, which is helpful), and then decided to just read through some posts for extra info.

I thought I read somewhere (one of my orchid books, maybe...I'll have to check) that Phals preferred more indirect light from an east/west window rather than the direct sun of a southern window. So when I brought mine home, I found a spot in my huge eastern window for it. Reading through posts here, it seems like many people are recommending that phals be grown in southern exposures with some direct sunlight - should I move it to the southern window where my onc. happily grows and blooms? It would get direct sunlight there for a good half-day (sometimes more)? It will get bright, indirect light all day, with some sunlight in the mornings from the eastern window, which is why I put it there to begin with. It does get quite warm in the south window in the afternoons - the onc. seems to love the "baking" as far as growth and flowers go, but I was under the impression a phal wouldn't really appreciate that.

Any suggestions for the better light exposure? I'll take it out of the pot and losen up the sphagum it's potted in, since it seems from reading here that it should be loser, rather than tightly packed (as it is now). It was overwatered (that's why it was on the clearance rack), so I'm just letting it dry out pretty well at the moment, and get settled into its new environment.

Thanks in advance for any helpful advice on the light needed for this plant...the leaves seem to be in fairly good shape, as well as what I saw of the roots through the plastic pot, so hopefully once it dries out and aclimates it will do well for me.

Comments (11)