SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
queerbychoice

annuals, probably CA natives

queerbychoice
14 years ago

I want to identify four plants, three of which are probably California natives and all of which are probably annuals. The first two I grew from a seed mix that was just labeled "California natives" without the particular species indicated. The third one is a volunteer in my garden, probably an annual but probably not a native. The fourth one I saw in the wild on Table Mountain in Oroville, in an area of vernal pools where most of the plants that survive are native annuals.

I think this first one is an Oenothera or a Camissonia. Any guesses about which one? The leaves are very hairy, and none of the plants have bloomed yet, although almost everything else in my garden has bloomed by now. This species sprouted both in pots and from seeds I scattered directly on the ground.

{{gwi:197009}}

This next species sprouted only in pots, though I've now transplanted the largest plants into the ground. None of the plants has bloomed yet.

{{gwi:197010}}

The next one is a weedy grass, probably a non-native volunteer. It grows in tiny clumps and goes to seed when as little as one inch tall (but more often when three or our inches tall). It looks similar to annual bluegrass but has stiffer and slightly narrower leaves, is slightly shorter, and has different seedheads. It goes to seed about two weeks after sprouting, compared to about one week for annual bluegrass. I'm not great at identifying grass parts, but I think it has a fused sheath with no auricles. The seedheads are definitely arranged in panicles, with awns longer than the seeds. I know that grasses are very difficult to identify, but I'd appreciate a guess that might at least guide me to the right genus.

{{gwi:197011}}

And these are plants I photographed wild at a vernal pool. The big pink flower is Lewisia rediviva,, but I want to know what the tiny yellow flowers with the red stems are. Could they be Hypericum anagalloides? If not, what are they?

{{gwi:197012}}

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor