SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
growtheworld

Potted plant with organic soil and fertilizer

GrowTheWorld
12 years ago

Hello everyone,

First time post, long time reader (did I really just say that), well I guess I made a pretty cardinal mistake as far as I have read concerning potted plants. I bought some heirloom tomato plants in small pots locally and have transferred them to small pots filled with Espoma Organic Potting Mix. The potting mix boasts plenty of Ectomycorrhizal fungi (7 different species) as well as 45-55% Sphagnum Peat moss, peat humus, perlite, and dolomitic limestone (quoting from bag). I also mixed in some Epsoma Tomato-tone organic fertilizer (3-4-6, Ca-5%, Mg-1%, S-3%) which also had 916 colony forming units of different bacteria. I also have them in 3.5 gallon pots covered in pine straw. I water them once or twice a week (depending on the hot Alabama weather) with water I have left outside overnight for a few days. If it rains then they get that instead. My concern, after I have read all this wonderful information on this site, is that I have did my plants a woeful disservice. Don't get me wrong, they are growing very lush, green, and strong. They have also started to put out the wonderful yellow flowers as a precursor to fruiting. But I am concerned because I believe that I will not get any tomatoes due to my mistake of using organic ferts and soil in a potted environment? I am concerned that they might not be getting the proper nutrients to give good fruits. I really really want to abstain from using miracle-gro or other inorganic fertilizers. Are they doomed or should I continue with them the way they are going? I was considering adding more of the organic fertilizer to the top of the soil then adding a little soil on top and go about it like that? Thanks for reading my long post and any directions or experience would be greatly appreciated. Thank You

Comments (9)