SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
orchidnick

Taking advantage of micro-climate.

orchidnick
11 years ago

I have a warm greenhouse and a cold greenhouse both of which I'm rebuilding thanks to the benign guidance of the wise city fathers who found code violations with my original effort. The warm house is 1/2 complete, I'm right now working on completing the second half. The cold house was completed 3 to 4 month ago and I'm just now fully appreciating and enjoying the finer points of it.

It is 2x as large as the original, 360 sq feet and L shaped. The swamp cooler is at one extreme, not in the middle and a total of 8 fans are placed to circulate the air from the cold end to the rest. That was the intent but it is not quite working out that way. We already have had a couple of days when the temp in the backyard reached 87F and the cooling and humidifying effort worked quite well, the temp was kept at 75F maximum.

What I did observe is that at the end farthest removed from the swamp cooler, despite the best effort of the circulating fans, the temp is 5F to 10F warmer. I was going to install a second home-made cooling device until I realized the blessing in disguise. Inadvertently I have created an intermediate house. I have always chafed under the disadvantage of not knowing where to place intermediate plants, warm house or cold house? Now I have a place to put them.

Micro-climates exist in any facility, one just needs to recognize and utilize them.

Nick

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting