SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ray_ratliff

Ascf. Petite Boquet twinkle

ray_ratliff
16 years ago

So I have one of these great little Ascofenitia Petite Boquet that I picked up at R.F. orchids a while back. The plant had several Kiekies & lots of healthy roots when it started out. Now, the growth seems to have been stunted (there have been no new leaves sprouting) & there has been no visible new root growth for more than 2 months. I have it growing with my Vandas (which are all growing & flowering wonderfully) I have been examining the plant & do not see any rotting or fungus/bacterial spots. Any ideas on anything else I could do to encourage it to get up & going again? Cut back water, more fertilizer, force it to start roots with hormones??? Thanks for sharing any ideas you may have!!

-Ray-

Comments (7)

• jamcm
    16 years ago

Hi Ray,

I don't have that specific cross, but I grow all of my Ascofinetia crosses in about mini Cattleya light - more than Oncidium, less than regular Cattleyas, both much less than I'd give Vandas (can't grow them - not enough room, warmth or light). Could it be too much light?

Julie

• cjwatson
    16 years ago

All of my Ascofinetias (and Neostylis and Vandofinetias, Rumrillaras -- all similar) are resting for the winter and have stopped growing both leaves and roots. This is normal. They don't grow at a steady pace year round but rather seasonally in growth spurts.

• rita_h
    16 years ago

My neofinetia crosses like Ascofinetia Cherry Blossom and Neostylis Lou Sneary are just beginning to spike, so definitely not dormant in my neck of the woods... They both get catt-level light and no special treatment except a natural temp drop (they're grown in bay windows).

• cjwatson
    16 years ago

Dormant has nothing to do with spiking or flowers. Dormant means leaf growth and root growth have slowed or stopped. Many orchid species bloom during their dormant phase, even when completely leafless.

• ray_ratliff
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ahh, so they are just taking a little break? That is cool, I guess the timing is about right; itÂs been about 2 months since it has slowed down. After reading the posts that you have all left here for me I did a search for the neofenitia rest period & found some information on its resting period. Another question for anyone with this plant blooming, what is its fragrance? I would love to hear a few descriptions of how it smells! Thanks to everyone!

-Ray-

• akebono
    16 years ago

To ray ratliff: Neos smell better than any other orchid on the planet (a little biased perhaps?!?). To my nose, it's a mix of vanilla, oriental lily, and some citrus, among other things. My partner, upon sampling it for the first time, literally dropped the telephone, wept and claimed the fragrance stops time! It is stronger at night, but usually detectable in the daytime as well. I hope you don't have to wait too long, but I can't imagine you will not be enchanted. My Neos have kicked into high gear rooting, and I spotted a few tiny spikes, which sometimes form as early as the fall, but generally wait until summer to open.

• ray_ratliff
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hah!! I would say you are a little biased. But then again, mine have not yet bloomed so I will make my judgment in a few months when they do =0) I'm going to give them a good going over tonight with a magnifying glass to see if there is anything happening close to the stem of the plants! Thanks for the great description of its fragrance!

-Ray-