SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greentherapy

The little bastards had to die

greentherapy
16 years ago

I did something pretty rash last week, and honestly I thouht I would loose all of my orchids.

I had a massive infestation of aphids and scale and even a couple fungus knats.

I have a very demanding job as of late and have been workin 60+ hours, so for the last month and a half when I water my orchids it has been at like 1am as quickly as possible so I can go to sleep.

Well last week I got my wisdom teeth out and of course I had a few days off work. I decided on day two to pamper my orchids since I knew the poor things had suffered. Well I turn on all the light pannels and get a close look and there are so many aphids that the leaves were white with their skins. I was horrified and disgusted, at them and myself. I had had minor outbreaks in the past and knew how hard it was just to get rid of a couple of them, but here were collonies of em.

So I got rash and decided to do somethin that I have read over and over was a bad idea. I flat out put pestisides in the watering water. Not really really diluted either, I squeezed a big ol squirt of orthos systemic leaf killer right into the water and watered every one of the orchids twice.

Sounds out of control doesn't it? Well here in idaho the orchids have to live in doors about 10 months a year and aphids are the death of 60 foot trees here. And I have about 100 orchids so tryin to swab off the critters would not have worked.

I'm happy to say that honestly all the bugs are dead, all three kinds and two of my orchids that had just been kinda laying about for a couple months kinda perked up. I'm so glad it worked, the day after I got a nervous cold feeling thinking that I had killed them all.

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions