SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sujewel

Philly Flower Show

sujewel
16 years ago

Hey All!

Anyone planning to attend as well? Unfortunately, I have to go on the last day. But at least I will get to go either way. I find the orchids more reasonably priced at the Philly Flower Show than at the Greater NY Orchid Show or the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens Orchid Show.

I really can't wait.

Comments (20)

• bulldogges
    16 years ago

yep, I'm going (philly native).

Actually, the last day isnt a bad time to go. I have friend who always goes on the ast day. He waits to shop until the last hour or so of the show and regularly gets bonsai and orchids at half price - he sys the vendors would rather not lug the plants home.

I usually go the last saturday. Dont know what the prices are in NY - but Waldor sells at the philly show, for half the price that you will find Waldor orchids for at retail outlets (i know waterloo gadrens sell Waldor's orchids)

Enjoy the show!!!!

• HollyT
    16 years ago

I'm going. Probably Tues or Wed.

• Related Discussions

Philly flower show

Q

Comments (3)
    It is March 7-14. The best time to go (to avoid huge view-obstructing crowds) is weekdays, after 3:00 pm, when the tour busses leave. Also, better to go earlier rather than later in the week, as the flowers start drooping as time passes. Here is a link that might be useful: The Phila. Flower Show
    ...See More

Philly Flower Show Trip with WG Mag

Q

Comments (4)
    I have been to the show several times and it is very crowded during the week as well. However, the crowds at the big displays tend to wax and wane depending on the time of day. The crowds decline during the period of about 3PM to 6PM. So if you arrive there and you can't get near the big displays, save yourself the aggravation and go look at the stuff for sale and the smaller exhibits - which are excellent, by the way. Then wait until the crowds thin out and you can better enjoy the big exhibits.
    ...See More

Anyone going to the Philly Flower show

Q

Comments (4)
    Hi blueheron------ My daughter lives and works in Lancaster.She loves the Lancaster area and has a beautiful garden in her back yard. I just had back surgery at Lancaster General --in fact we just got home today after a visit with the surgeon and my daughter. I'm doing well after the surgery---I am finally able to walk again. It has been a painful 2 years prior to the surgery. I told Dr Kuhlengel at Lancaster General that he is a miracle man. Florence
    ...See More

Who's going to the Philly Flower Show this year?

Q

Comments (0)
    Who's going to the Philly Flower Show this year? And if you've gone before, what are some good exhibits to look out for?
    ...See More
  • sujewel
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Cool. I always wondered if they sold their plants on the last day. I know the Greater NY Orchid Show does that. Will it be a madhouse sell off?

• howard_a
    16 years ago

I am planning to attend. I've only been to Longwood Gardens once and it was long before I knew they had a show/sale there. I supect that the demise of the NYC show has given Philly's show greater visibility. Why not, LG is an amazing place, show or no show. I can only suggest that if you are coming from out of town plan an overnight stay or arrange for a designated driver... ...

H

Here is a link that might be useful: Longwood Gardens Orchid Show

• sujewel
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Howard, are you saying the Greater NY Orchid Show is no more??

• howard_a
    16 years ago

No, I am not saying that. I certainly don't know that. I mean for this year at least.

H

• highjack
    16 years ago

Why do I need a designated driver?

Brooke

• howard_a
    16 years ago

DUI is DUI whether the influence shows up on a breathaliser or not...

• bulldogges
    16 years ago

howard,

are you talking about the Philadelphia Flower Show PA convention center), or The Internationa Orchid Show and Sale (Longwood Gardens)

The flower show starts tomorrow, March 2nd and runs throu next Sunday (the 9th), while the orchid show at Longwood is the last weekend in March (the 28th?)

Just askibg because the Philadelphia Flower sho is one of the top flower shows in the world (internationally recognized as one). Nothing New York has done in the past or will do in the future will change that.

• howard_a
    16 years ago

This is the first moment that I am understanding that there is a separate Philadelphia show from the Longwood Gardens show that I linked to, just to forestall any possible confusion over what show I was referring to. And I certainly wasn't trying to diss any major North East orchid show. All I meant was that NY's show was huge and a whole lot of hardcore NYC orchid lovers (like myself) never even knew other Northeast cities had comparable offerings but now we do because for the first time in our adult lives we actually have had to look afield to find a spring show to spend money at.

• HollyT
    16 years ago

Philly has fabulous orchid displays and many vendors. Waldor Orchids usually has a display that would rival those at the World Orchid Congress. And of course Philly has all those other garden exhibits to die for. I'm going Wednesday, about 3-7 pm. In the past the show has been so crowded you had to line up to see the big displays. But by midafternoon the early birds are getting tired and the crowd thins out, so this year we plan to arrive at that time.

I've never been to the orchid show at Longwood. They had a good but not fabulous orchid display when we were there 2 years ago on the way home from Philly. However, Longwood in general is one of my favorite places on the planet. Just shows what you can do with good real estate, a lot of plant experts, and a half-billion dollar endowment.

• highjack
    16 years ago

As long as orchid fragrance doesn't register on the breathalizer, I'll run the risk and save the money on the designated driver to spend on orchids.

Brooke

• sujewel
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I was referring to the Philly Show at the Convention Center. It is an amazing show! I go every year and it ALWAYS amazes me. I like that the exhibits are different every year. I've never been to the Longwood Garden Show, though I've always wanted to go.

Waldor Orchids is where I shop too. However, there is another orchid vendor that has terrific prices. I bought a 12" Cym there for $60.00!!!!

Howard...Phewww. I thought you meant the Greater NY Orchid Show was no more. Although last year was pretty disappointing.

• bulldogges
    16 years ago

Howard,

I just reread my post and ralized howe defensive/offensive the last sentence was.

sorry!!!!!

Was just trying to make the point that it is worldclass show.

It is actually not an Orchid show, but a general flower show (there are several orchid selers and many orchids entered for indivual judging, but only one or two full orchid displays (out of about a 12-15, forget exactly how many. Its sponsored/put together by the Pennsylvania Horticultural Society. Each year it has a theme. Last year it was Ireland, this year it is Jazz It Up ( New Orleans).

Here's a link to the site about it. If you have the time to drive down, its definitely worth it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Philadelphia Flower Show

• bulldogges
    16 years ago

Here is a link ot he Longwood Gardens show.

dony know how it compares to others, but I enjoyed it last year :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Longwood Gardens International Orchid Show and Sale

• kitty747
    16 years ago

Hey all you orchid lovers! Probably have not met you folks because I usually hang out with the Hippeastrum crowd, but I went to Philly today. They called it a "preview" day. It was a little bit better than a normal crowded day, but not by a whole lot. If you join the society, for something like a hundred bucks, you get four tickets to the preview. Parking across the street was $26, but quite full for a preview day (we ended up on the roof - 7th floor). I want to tell you, there is a Dendrobium Speciosum (not sure that's spelled right) to die for there where they display the privately held plants. I was only able to visit three orchid vendors -- JustPat #509, Waldor #421, and Dragon Agro #709. I missed the Orchid Doctor #641 and Silva Orchids #307 & #406. I only purchased one from JustPat, a chartruse cym. called Aquarius. It's really a bit overwhelming. Later in the day is better. Nice to meet you and hope to visit more often.

• sujewel
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I never realized there was a preview day!!! I'll have to do that next year, but I'll see how the last day pans out. I remember a few years ago, I went on the last day and the exhibits were going down, so I was pretty disappointed.

My designated driver (hubby) might be extending his biz trip, so I might have to train it, or beg my parents to drive me home with my loot..LOL.

• sujewel
    Original Author
    16 years ago

WOW!!!! What an amazing show!! This was my favorite theme thus far!! So much fun and each display was simply stunning.

I am very happy we went on the last day. Waldor Orchids gave us 25% off 4 orchids! The Raritan Valley Orchid Center gave us a 20% discount on a beautiful Cymbidium with 3 beautiful spikes!!! I'll post pictures soon.

We missed out on a flowering jade trying to wait for a good discount :(. Oh well, next time.

• orchidsnyc
    16 years ago

Just to summarize:

Philadelphia Flower Show - absolutely world class, been going on for years, but definitely not an "orchid show" per se. Other than Waldor, I didn't know there were orchid vendors at all, but it doesn't sound like there many. Waldor's prices sound about the same as at the NY show. "Other outlets" are probably florists or garden centers who usually charge ludicrous prices for orchids "just because they can." Very conveniently located not far from 30th St Station (Amtrak & SEPTA), easy enough to get to without a car.

The show at Longwood Gardens is "really" the SEPOS show. The one that historically was at the King of Prussia mall. Longwood Gardens should, obviously, be a much nicer venue. Only orchids, should be a bunch of vendors. Unfortunately, not easy to attend by public transportation.

The NY International Show is NOT happening this year for a confluence of several unfortunate factors. They're working on it, who knows what will happen. They were saying maybe something in the Fall, or failing that, hopefully next year. There's a message from the Show Chairman, also GNYOS's president, on GNYOS's website.

Historically, waiting for the last day and discounts can get you some decent bargains if you're just looking for "pretty flowers" but the good stuff always sells out first and fast. Vendors don't stay in business by being fools. ;)

• sujewel
    Original Author
    16 years ago

There are five orchid vendors that attend the show. But, you are correct. As the title states, this is a Flower show and not orchid-centric.

Perhaps this post would have been better suited for another forum.