SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kristimama

Container Fertilizers--Any acceptable conventional products?

13 years ago

Hi all,

I haven't posted in a long time, but Justaguy and Al in particular, please don't laugh too hard at my question (since I've traditionally been so headstrong about using organics only in my containers).

The truth is, I'm considering going over to the "dark side" and using something non-organic in my many containers. I'm still 100% organic in the ground, but am realizing that my potted citrus in particular need some extra help this Spring after an extraordinarily frosty and wet winter here in the Bay Area.

I'm wondering, from you Organic folks, what brands of conventional fertilizers (in particular the time released products) you may have tried for your containers. (I know from the container boards that some of you who garden organically in the ground also use more conventional approaches for containers. Would love to get your words of wisdom here.)

I don't know any of the brands or any of the products out there. I tend to have a knee jerk negative reaction to anything owned by Scotts and Miracle Grow (yes, I can own my own crazy politics)... and I need some honest education here about my options and even the lingo.

I don't want something that I'm spraying or applying with great frequency, so I think some sort of time released product would be the place to start. I only know the term osmocote, and I use it like the word "kleenex" and I"m sure there are dozens of "osmocote-like" products out there.

Also, I'm not looking to get the best and most beautiful priced specimen citrus plants... I'm just looking to green them up primarily (and secondarily, of course, is blooms and fruit, but I was getting that already with organics.)

I'm also looking for something with a relatively small impact on the environment ( I realize this is a loaded issue) and something that is a good all purpose ratio, so that I can throw one product into most of my potted plants.

I truly appreciate any information from other organic enthusiasts about what they are (or would be) comfortable with when choosing a conventional product for containers (most of which for me are edibles).

Thanks!

-KMama

Comments (31)