SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kioni_gw

Some sort of teeny tiny bug on my Phals

kioni
16 years ago

Ack! I've done a quick search and not found what I'm looking for.

I was going to repot my noid red phal, because it had been failing, and upon looking at the pot, it appears that the spag moss it had been packed with was green and growing (or else it was moss?). Took to the sink, got rid of old growing medium, trimmed back the roots, seasoned cut ends with cinnamon. Went back to the table where it sat and got the saucer, and noticed little brownish red specks similiar to chili powder? Used my kid's dollar store magnifying glass and a few of them moved around, but I couldn't see legs like I could on spider mites when I had those bugs on my ivies 4 years ago.

So...I can toss this phal, it was a $5 anniversary special from Wal*Mart 2 years back, and grew vigorously and bloomed up till now. But now I see these specks on my noid mini white phal I have, that I've not seen another in the stores since, that I will have a cry over if I have to chuck that one, and my heart if beating so fast over this it's a wonder I can even type straight!

I want to try to save this white phal, on it's spike it has little rust specks, mainly where the nodes are, but what else to I do? Do I dunk the whole plant? Are mites and spider mites treated the same way(insecticidal soap?). I see the local garden centre has neem oil, can I use that and how? Sorry for all the questions, I am truly distraught, and mad, because I noticed the orange flecks on the leaf of the red one a while back and cleaned it off and inspected VERY carefully, nothing moved, so I thought maybe the kids made a spill of something, or now I'm wondering, what the heck was I thinking??????? OF COURSE I should have been suspicious, I'm so mad at myself I could have gotten rid of that plant and now not be going through this turmoil, because I have mini african voilets on this table too and maybe they've got them??? Argh!

To whomever can give me answers, thanks for you time and patience in reading this. I'm storming back to the kitchen to see what else I can do (that's where these plants are). Thanks.

Comments (3)