SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alliyum

short, wide plant near rain garden

AlliYum
14 years ago

This plant pictured below showed up on the perimeter of my rain garden a few years ago. The rain garden is planted with native prairie plants. I thought it was perhaps the Cup Plant (Silphium perfoliatum)coming up from seed because the leaves are very similar. However, it never grew a stem so the first year I saw it, I cut it off and got rid of it. It came up again the second year (I obviously did not get rid of it) and this time I thought I'd leave it be and see what happened. Nothing happened. It grew out but not up. Then I thought perhaps it's a biennial and left it alone. This year I have more of these than ever, some coming up some distance from the rain garden. Still no sign of a stem developing and since the cup plant grows about 6 feet tall, I'm pretty sure this is not what it is. I've never seen a flower on it nor a flower stem so how it spread itself is another mystery. The root is rather hard and somewhat woody, kind of like a rhubarb but not as tough or large...at least not yet. Here are some photos:

{{gwi:184932}}

{{gwi:184934}}

Does anyone recognize this plant? It seems to do fine in lots of water or in the drier areas. I'm not sure if I should nurture it or get rid of it. It's not shown much tendency towards prettiness unless you like a rather large, coarse groundcover.

Thanks in advance for looking and helping me solve this puzzle. I'm in west-central IL, zone 5.

Traudi

Comments (8)