SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
catlover_gardener

Dend. Anusmum

12 years ago

I bought a Dend. Anusmum (the one with the lavender flowers with a name that ends in ..ii, cannot remember)and it has long pendulous canes. At the end of one cane is a bunch of dangling buds with pointy ends.

This dendrobium is attached to a half of coconut shell (brown and hard, looks like they took a cleaver to the shell and split it in two)Then it seems they made a hole in the top of the shell, and looped a piece of wire through the the base of the plant, and pulled the wire through the hole in the shell and tied it ending in a question mark shape hook by which the plant is hung.

Anyway the whole thing looks like an umbrella-shaped canopy hovering over the plant whose roots hang like a man-o-war jelly fish floating on the ocean. Right under the canopy two little plantlets are emerging.

The guy I bought it from kept it in his shade house at the very top of the roof where it got the bright sun and suffered a lot, but he says it liked it so.

How to I care for it.

I have a back patio.

Do I rehang it on to something else, keep it so, or what.

Care????

Watering...

I asked him but he said he did nothing to it. Just left it alone.

Thanks a lot for any answers

Comments (5)

• 12 years ago

I assume you mean Den. anosum? If so I give mine a winter dry period for 4-5 months, only giving it occasional sips of water. The buds appear about the time all the foliage has fallen off.

If the plantlets come from the main growth it is next years growth and you can start increasing the water.

I grow in a g/h and give it all the light I have.

Brooke

• 12 years ago

Along the same line, I have questions:

I just bought a young plant of this species. How do I know the plant is going into a dry period? Do leaves turn yellow and drop due to the fact I stop watering? Or do they drop leaves anyway and I have to stop watering afterwords?

Does it drop its leaves even they are young like mine when winter approaches? Or the matured plant only drop leaves so that it prepares for blooming?

Also, do I need to build a green house for it to bloom? Is windowsill good enough?

• 12 years ago

Hi catlover - keep those embodiments of evil away from your plant!
    In nature, these plants grow on deciduous trees; take a lesson from this. During spring thru fall, grow in bright dappled light with plenty of water and fertilizer. During rest, grow dry and as bright as you can manage (full sun if possible).
    Local wisdom (south Louisiana, so somewhat less tropical than you) says to water for the last time on Halloween.
    Some people say they "mist" during winter (we have humidity, so not an issue); but never, ever fertilize during the rest period or you will end up with a massive foliage plant and no flowers.
    My rookie mistake: bought one in flower, it grew like mad all summer; when the leaves fell in fall, I thought "argh, killed another one" and trashed it. Don't do this! It is getting ready to produce buds.
    A most excellent plant - Nancy
    p.s. could be pierardii?

• 12 years ago

Thanks very much for responses.
    I look at it every day and night.
    The buds are still unopened and I put it in bright light evern though the sun moves over my townhouse after 11-12pm. Goes away.
    I am still perplexed about the way it is potted--in the half coconut shell, with all the canes hanging down along with roots hanging too. There is no bark, spag, characoal, nothing just hanging canes and roots.
    I fear the weight of the flowers will cause it to fall from the hook.
    I am thinking of poking the canes and roots through the slats of a basket and propping it against the side of the basket when it stops blooming.
    Then putting large charcoal pieces on the bottom of the basket OR

Richard Valentin, plant researcher, who lives in Puerto Rico has a blog site about Dend Anosmum, (see below) and he has an interesting method of potting-- up side down in a cut off soda bottle with mixed bark.

Anyway, I will follow advice given, Nancy. I paid $20 for it.
    Thanks

Here is a link that might be useful: richard valentin blog

• 12 years ago

IMO, living in zone 10, you can probably nail it to a tree and have it thrive. However, if you pot, basket, add media, etc., the outcome may be disappointing. I have pierardii, parishii, anosmum, superbum, loddigesii, primulinum (some in several forms), and all of them are on either a slice of cork or a piece of wood - no moss, no bark, charcoal, or anything else. They are pretty happy that way.
    You could always get one of those basket bottoms and wire the coconut to it. Overwatering kills a lot of orchids (and, of course, cats), and it's hard to overwater without medium.
    Cheers - Nancy