SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
biga3723

sweet corn insect identification and treatment help needed!

BigA3723
13 years ago

I'm growimg many vegetables this summer for first time ever and need some help with the sweet corn , burpee seed co early and often SE. The silks are just starting to emerge on bottom and pollen on top.

I never noticed insects before yesterday. The night before I put 2 manilla envelopes over top of 2 plants to collect pollen and hand fertilize silks. When I took off in the morning, I noticed on black tiny insect with possibly white dots on back. Also, there were half a dozen even smaller mites almost the same color as envelope , reddish orange, running around.

I checked my plants very carefully this morning and spotted 5 more of the black insects, 3 around pollen shoots and 2 in silks. No plant had more than one.

On a side note, I also picked some catnip buds yesterday for cat and noticed possibly the same rust colored mites along with a darker version of the same bug. The were oval shaped and a very small amount seemed to do a tiny jump. They were too small to make out details, but it looked like they had something on back half they would rub with back legs every so often.

The black insects with white spots are roundish to slightly oval and looks like tiny beetle shape as opposed to pictures I have seen of aphids with triangular back end. These were about half the size of a black ant.

The reddish mites were about half to one third size of the above black insect. These were longer oval shape with a long rear half. When I saw them on catnip buds, the darker brownish black ones looked exactly the same as the reddish ones, just larger.

I can post pics later, but it has been like 30 mph gusts here for past 3 days, quite annoying!

Comments (3)