SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
allisaurusrex

Can my Phal be saved?

AllisaurusRex
11 years ago

Hi all.

I'm a newbie to orchids (and houseplants in general). I've had this plant for about 2.5 weeks total. This is my second Phal, the first one I managed to kill. So it had been a couple of years since the last one died and when I saw the great prices at Wal-Mart, I thought I'd give it another go. While I was there I also picked up a ceramic pot and Miracle Gro orchid soil to transplant it since it was just in a disposable pot. After researching these past couple of days, I'm thinking maybe that was my first mistake since the plant was/is in bloom. Also after getting home, I realized that the pot I bought doesn't have a drainage hole. I don't know if I can drill one but I can't afford to buy another pot so I figured I'd just try to make it work.

The plant had just about outgrown the temporary pot. The roots were all tangled up in the shape of the pot and they were too stiff for me to undo them. They were gray-ish in color. I potted the plant like that and have been watering it with 3-4 ice cubes once a week like the tag said.

The plant did great for about a week, and then I noticed that the smallest leaf was looking pretty bad. It was pale and maybe a bit reddish and limp and wrinkled. The rest of the leaves were still green and firm so I left it alone. After a few days, I noticed one of the blooms beginning to droop, at which point I plucked off the dead leaf. It came off very easily. After that the wilted bloom went downhill pretty quickly and then about 2 days ago I noticed the rest of the petals are seeming limp also. It's possible that it's jut time for the flowers to drop but there are still 2 flowers that haven't opened completely. They were completely closed when I bought the plant and had been opening up until I noticed the dead leaf.

I did a lot of research last night and decided to unpot my plant today and take a look at the roots. They were much more pliable than when I potted it so I was able to untangle them and get a better look. The roots that are still healthy were green in color, but there were a lot of brown and black mushy roots. The soil was fairly dry, cool to the touch but not wet at all, so I hesitate to say that the dead roots are a result of rot. In any case, I trimmed off all the dead. It wasn't an awful lot, probably not even 1/8 of the root mass, but there are still several yellow roots toward the center of the plant. They weren't mushy at all so I left them intact. While I was trimming the roots I soaked the potting mix in water and drained it off. I used the damp soil to repot the plant and put a bamboo skewer in the pot so I can be sure it's dried out before I water it next time.

That was about 7 hours ago, and now the blooms are looking worse than ever. At this point I'm not sure if I'm helping or hurting this plant. The remaining leaves are still in good shape so I have hope that it can be saved, but while I am able to invest time, I really don't have the resources to invest a lot of money. Any advice is welcome, I'm really at a loss as to what is wrong and what else I can do to correct it.

Thanks!

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH