SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rockyfarm

Orchid roots telling me something...

rockyfarm
15 years ago

I grow a variety of genera under lights and am finding that most of my plants grow remarkably long aerial roots. These go out of the pots, wander around the trays under the plants (sometimes under water), down the shelves, and onto the floor. I have some epi-catts with individual roots coiling up on the indoor/outdoor carpet, over 4' in length and still going. While this may be regarded as a sign of vigor, it is damn inconvenient. Lifting a plant to inspect it becomes a battle with neighboring pots and the plastic lath holding the pots above the trays.

I speculate that heavy growth of aerial roots may indicate that my potting medium is relatively dry and the humidity is on the high side. I keep the room at 65 to 80% humidity and water every 3 or 4 days (plastic pots, bark mix). I can't water indoors with a garden hose as I used to do in a greenhouse, but use a pump up sprayer, ensuring water runs out of each pot, then repeating in 10 minutes. So...., should I go to a more absorbant mix (sphagnum, peat), reduce humidity, or just grow ghost orchids?

Comments (10)