SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
orchidnick

Polar Vortex vs Yukon Express

orchidnick
10 years ago

I guess Middle America is in a deep freeze because of something they call the 'Polar Vortex'. Good luck, hope you don't loose too many plants. Since your winters are normally colder than the orchids will tolerate I'm sure everybody has provisions to protect them. We in SOCAL are paradoxically in a worse position. Our winters are usually tolerated by the outside plants so most of us have no provisions to deal with a deep freeze. Right now my night time low is 45F but daytime highs approach 80, no problem.

Occasionally, the last time about 7 years ago, we get what's called the 'Yukon Express'. The Jet stream dips way down into Mexico and polar air comes rushing down to us unobstructed. Temperature will go down into the teens which most plants won't tolerate. During one such episode SBOE lost 1/3 of their entire stock. 7 years ago I lost a number of plants, was only saved by cramming as many as I could into the warm greenhouse.

The last time LA got snow that actually stayed on the streets was in 1953 (I believe). Since they have zero snow removing equipment and nobody has snow tires, the city ground to a halt. Most of us are a little helpless to deal with this as it usually does not happen and therefore most of us have no protective provisions. I since I rebuilt both the warm and the cold greenhouse twice as big as before, right now I could stack all of my outside plants under some king of protected roof. I feel I'm safe from the Yukon Express but I know that many of my cohorts are not.

Good luck to whoever is affected by this, I feel your pain.

Nick

Comments (6)

• garyfla_gw
    10 years ago

Hi
    Predicted to drop into the low 40's here tonight and like you I'm never prepared because the usual fight is heat lol
    Last major cold spell was 09 actually dropped to hard freeze for 4 hours set record lows for daytime highs
    Funny, the first year I arrived here 78 it snowed!!! all the way into Miami lol AS I remember that was a 60/70 year record and it has not happened since lol
    Went to visit my daughter in Kansas and I chose May to avoid the cold . Was snowing when we arrived . broke a 80/100 year record. Think I could single handedly stop global warming lol. Anyway good luck everybody!! gary

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The citrus growers are prepaired with their smudge pots and fans but we are unprepared. All one can do us stack them in the garage or the house. If its a real hard freeze it also helps to water the ones left outside, a layer of ice on the leaves is protective.

Nick

• whitecat8
    10 years ago

Thanks for the good wishes, Nick. Last night, in our Minneapolis suburb, it was -21F with a wind chill of -38. And yes, we're used to it. My orchids are safe in the 2nd bedroom with their own fan, humidifier, and space heater.

Orchid deliveries, however... About 3 weeks ago, I ordered 2 plants from Andy's during one of their sales. So far, they're still in CA. Harry left a message today, saying the plants are ready to go when the weather warms up.

Best to you two when the colder weather hits.

WhiteCat8

• westoh Z6
    10 years ago

-10 actual, windchill -33 last night. Ice on inside of windows in spare room/orchid room this morning because of the humidity. Reminds me of when I lived in western Minnesota in the late 80's :-)

Thankfully$$$, it breaks in the next few days for us in Ohio.

As you state Nick, not a big deal for me as long as the heat/power stay on...

Bob

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My late mother successfully grew orchids in Calgary, Alberta where it routinely gets to -40F (or C) every January. It's just a question of being prepared. And again, most of us in SOCAL are not. Remember 'It never rains in Southern California'. Yeah right.

Nick

• Danielle Rose
    10 years ago

We have our distinct seasons in metro NY, though it rarely gets too cold or too hot. However, there will always be at least a couple of instances of deep cold. It could last a day or two, could last a week, but those freezing days are going to happen, and you have to be prepared for them!

Metro NY didn't get hit nearly as bad as the midwest: It went down to about 4 at the coldest points, with a windchill of -15. It's supposed to be up to 55 by Saturday in NYC. To quote a friend: "sounds more like the Bi-Polar Express."