SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fman_gw

anyone growing miniature orchids?

fman
16 years ago

i was thinking of purchasing some mini orchids to grow on a windowsill. the windowsill where i want to grow them gets bright light and dappled sunlight for about 4-5 hours. anyone have any suggestions on which would be easy to grow and get to flower? i particularly like white flowers but it is not a must. fragrance would be a bonus. where is a good place to purchase them? thanks for any information. fman

Comments (17)

• terpguy
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

boy am I about to make your day.

Www.andysorchids.com/buildsearch.asp

These people are one of the best vendors in the business and specialize in "orchids on a stick" this search engine let's you select certain parameters like ease of growing, temperature, whether or not its mini, light requirements,etc...for my part I'd recommend the followinng:
    haraellas odorata
    angraecum didieri
    any aerangis ( the angraecum and some of these are white and fragrant)
    bulbophullum ambrosia

Happy hunting!

• whitecat8
    16 years ago

fman - Welcome. For about 18 months, I've been concentrating on minis, which for me means staying 8" or under in height. Great solution to limited space, and the variety is endless - yes, there are mini-orchids with white blossoms and fragrance.

Almost all vendors offer mini-orchids, along with larger plants, and there are numerous, reputable online vendors. Not all vendors describe minis as such, and their definitions vary quite a bit. There are online sources that give heights.

One resource that's been helpful to me is Steven Frowine's "Miniature Orchids." He includes sizes. Amazon has had good prices. Dunno if libraries have it - it came out last fall.

There are two general approaches to growing orchids. Some people see an orchid they like, buy it, and then learn through experience if it will grow and bloom in their cultural conditions in the house or greenhouse - light and temperature range, primarily.

Others match the plant's cultural requirements with the conditions they have before buying, figuring the plant will have a better chance to grow and bloom.

You seem to be the 2nd type. If so, read on.

If you're the first type, skip the rest of this message, go online, find vendors that offer mini-orchids you like, and then search the archives for people's experiences with that vendor. Unfortunately, there are some bad vendors out there, but you can avoid them.

(Right now, to search the archives, you'll need to read recent threads. Searching is weird 'cause GardenWeb is updating their technology.)

Read the rest if you want to match up cultural requirements and your conditions.

Because you live as far north as New York, you won't have enough sunny days in the winter to sustain orchids on natural light alone. I think all of us who live farther north use artificial light to supplement direct sunlight, winter and summer.

So, that's one consideration. You're asking at a good time, because CFLs (compact fluorescent lights) provide good supplemental light and are getting more sophisticated.

Supplemental light aside, there are some other considerations so you can find which orchids will thrive on your windowsill.

Each orchid needs a specific type light - full sun, bright, medium, low; and each needs a specific temperature range - cool, intermediate, or warm. Orchids don't always follow the rules, and some people are able to grow an orchid in conditions it's not supposed to tolerate, but your best bet is to choose orchids that fit your cultural conditions.

So, to nail down your conditions -

What direction does your window face?

During a 24-hour period, what is the temperature range in winter on the windowsill? If the outside temps are fluctuating, you may need to take readings over several days to get the typical range.

If you don't have a maximum/minimum temperature gauge, you can pick one up at Target, etc. for not much. The gauges often measure humidity as well, but that's less important than the temp range.

One fun exercise would be to define miniature for yourself. Some orchids are an inch tall. Some vendors call a 14" orchid "compact" - dangerous word when you're ordering. :)

Also, many of the smaller orchids are mounted on pieces of driftwood, bark, or cork. Just because an orchid's mounted doesn't mean it's a miniature, though. :) The mounted Dendrobium I got, thinking it would be small, came on a 16" long tree branch and had foot-long canes.

Mounted orchids (mounties) need spraying with water at least once a day because they have only a small amount of medium - usually sphagnum moss - for their roots. Some people love the daily routine, others have sworn off mounties because of it. Orchids that are potted typically need watering 1-3 times a week.

So, if you're still reading, ask away. Lots of folks here grow minis and can add to and question my info. Hope this is helpful.

Whitecat8

• Related Discussions

Anyone growing a ground orchid?

Q

Comments (1)
    I several growing in the ground in various degrees of light. They seem to do best with a little bit of shade during the summer.They are very easy to propigate by division.
    ...See More

Do miniature orchids in a terrarium need misting?

Q

Comments (1)
    I don't grow this species but to answer your questions: 1. Mist? To what end: water it or raise humidity? Humidity alone is not enough to keep your plant hydrated. You will need to water (not just mist). 2. Your case does need ventilation if you want to prevent fungus or bacterial infections. 3. You will need to vary the daylength. Leaving the lights on 24/7 sis decidedly unhealthy for your plant--and indeed he majority of plants--and in many cases can prevent your plant from blooming (if the plant is a short day or long day plant. Don't know about this species.) Hope this helps! Chris
    ...See More

Masdevallia: Is anyone growing these orchids?

Q

Comments (3)
    Masdies require very low light - a north window is perfect for them. In terms of fc's - 500 to 800 fc's are about right. They grow very well under T-8 fluorescent lights. Most masdies can take temps up to 80, even the cold/cool growers as long as the night temps are low. Air movement is essential for good growth and helps dissipate heat issues. They do not want to dry out. There are warmth "tolerant" species and most hybrids are easier to grow than the species. If you tire of watering the mounted plants I am having great success with net pots and sphag and keep them very moist. The roots can still get air but the needed moisture and coolness for make the plant happy. I have too many masdies to list, most are hybrids and a few species. Brooke
    ...See More

Anyone here grow Jewell Orchids? Macodes or Ludisia?

Q

Comments (3)
    Yes I grow Jewell orchids, Macodes petola, Ludisia discolor and a two Anoectochilus species. They don't like too much light and the soil should never dry out, they really don't like that. Just Google jewel orchid care and you will find a lot of info. Greetings
    ...See More
  • terpguy
    16 years ago

Uh whitecat? Z7 has more than enough winter light to grow and bloom most orchids on windowsills. I've been doing it for almost 8 years now. And fman did ask away ;)

• jane__ny
    16 years ago

The Original Poster lives in Zone 5. Not enough light. WC is correct. Very good information.

Jane

• howard_a
    16 years ago

NY is Zones 5 and 6 (its a very big state). But to be honest I think too much is made of zones and light. Zones are temperature classifications and any relation to light level is coincidental at best. In spite of this and regardless of what zone the o.p. actually lives in, the description of the light situation as found in the first post leads me to agree with WC and Jane that light will likely prove to be inadequate unless supplemented.

H

• fman
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thanks everyone for the great information. the windowsill i want to grow these orchids on is a south facing window. the orchids i was thinking about choosing were aerangis didieri, neofinetia falcata and encyclia cochleata. are these easy enough to grow? can you tell me more about their cultural requirements? i was on andysorchids.com website but most of their orchids are stick mounted, i would rather they be in pots. how about j and l orchids? any other vendors you guys know of? thanks again for the help and info. fman

• arthurm
    16 years ago

THe usual problem with these sorts of posts is the definition of mini. I have Neofinetia falcata (in a pot) and it is finally about to bloom. Yippee. It is a positive mini and it is a nice looking plant even without blooms.
    Encyclia cochleata a mini? more like a medium.
    Haven't tried to grow Aerangis didieri

• jemsta
    16 years ago

I see J&L orchids every once in a while because of our society events. They have great plants and are very nice people.
    ~Jem

• Chazy
    16 years ago

Well,I live in zone 4. I have an Slc.Memoria Alvin Begeman 'Poem',a very pretty yellow and red mini. It grows in my bay window which has 3 windows facing northeast,east and southeast.'Poem' is in the northeast window but does get some light from the others. It was in bloom when I purchased it in May 2007,and right now has 3 blossoms which opened about Dec. 29,2007 and are still in good shape. A very satisfactory little plant,but not fragrant unfortunately.

Nancy

• treehaus
    16 years ago

fman, I am relatively new to orchids, and I find Neofinetia falcata very easy to grow. You should be able to find that one potted, but I don't know about the Aerangis (I think it's usually sold mounted). Here are some links on Neos, with some cultural notes you can compare: 1,2,3,4,

• lellie
    16 years ago

Since I live in zone 9/10, I have little trouble growing orchids, aside from stoopid mistakes I might make with them. Oops!

Here is a close-up of my Den. mini-brown.
    IMHO, the small sprial flowers are stunning!

{{gwi:140405}}

• jamcm
    16 years ago

fman,

Aerangis dideri should not be a problem, however you might have a few issues with Neofinetia falcata and Encyclia cochleata. The latter two require more light and, while a South window is great, the fact is that, just like Whitecat8 mentioned, it's not always sunny out (especially at this time of year) and many things, such as your windows, trees, other buildings and even pollution, can reduce the amount of usable light your plants actually get. Which is where supplemental light comes in. This is what makes the difference between a nice plant and a nice plant with flowers. And who are we kidding - we all want those flowers!

Beyond light, those plants pretty much grow in intermediate temperatures (towards the warmer end for Encyclia and Aerangis, and the Neofinetia likes cool winters), water when the medium is dry without leaving it dry for long periods (the Encyclia can stand a few dry spells). Aerangis generally grow much better mounted, and so require slightly higher humidity.

Hope this helps.

Julie

• tee530
    16 years ago

- Angraecum didieri is a wonderful miniature, and suited for windowsills. Mine were never happy potted, so I'd recommend mounting or propping in an empty clay pot.

- E. cochleata is not a miniature, at least by my def. My (late) plant was bursting from a 7" pot and the spikes ran at least 2-3 feet high.

- Neo. falcata is also a great choice. Stays small, beautiful in all seasons. Probably the easiest to grow of those listed here.

- Dendrobium unicum. A neat mini dend, only 3-4" high, 2" pot. Gorgeous orange flowers. Light more toward the lower, dend-phal intensity. Drawback: deciduous, so the plant looks like a cluster of dead sticks for about 5 months of the year. Positive: you can mostly ignore it during the winter.

- Rupicolous laelias from Brazil, including L. milleri, briegeri, lucasiana, liliputiana, mixta, etc. Small plants (usually under 6") with nice flowers. Needs more light than the plants above, and will definitely need a summer outdoors.

- Mini dend hybrid and mini catt hybrid people, what say ye? Gotta be some good, cast-iron miniatures out there.

(Sorry for the powerpoint style post.)

• whitecat8
    16 years ago

fman, if you search Andy's site for miniatures, you'll get a good list plus cultural requirements. Then you can check out other vendors for your faves - you'll likely find them potted.

For light requirements, a good rule of thumb is to bump up the vendor's by at least one level. When Andy's says bright, indirect light, the plant may require direct light to bloom in the house. Maybe because the greenhouse plants get so much more natural light, including from overhead.

It's maddening that what's easy to grow for one person can be impossible for someone else, even though the plant's supposed to be a no-brainer. I may not be able to grow Neos, for example. They're not thriving.

Terpguy & Nancy, I'm envious that you can grow in windows with no supplemental lighting. Sounds wonderful. Come to think of it, one of our experienced OS members grows even vandas w/ no supplemental light. She has a room w/ glass on 3 sides.

fman, keep us posted. Whitecat8

• jimshy
    16 years ago

I'd add sedirea japonica, bulbophyllum laxiflorum, cymbidium ensifolium, oncidium 'Twinkle' osmoglossum pulchellum and tuberolabium kotoense to the list of small, pretty easy to grow, fragrant, and white or have white forms available.

They should all be able to flower under your light conditions, but always check the cultural guidelines for each orchid. Enjoy!

Jim

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    16 years ago

Mini Oncidiums do great for me in a west window in winter. Bright indirect sun outside after last frost. I leave mine out in the fall to cool down to initiate spiking. Blooms last a LONG TIME! I have a Carnival costume STILL in bloom after 2 months!

Tom

• mrbreeze
    16 years ago

Angraecum scottianum, compactum, equitans, didieri, elephantinum, obesum, and many others, fit your criteria, if you add some additional light.

Cadetia taylori comes to mind though its not fragrant. There are probably a ton of Dendrobium species that would fit those specs. But when you say mini, fragrant, and white, you pretty well paint yourself into an Ang corner. There is no better place to be, if you ask me.
    -MB