SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okie_deb

Whitecat8 & Okie_Deb orchid terrarium talk

okie_deb
16 years ago

I decided to start a new thread about this so we didn't hog the Christmas thread someone else had started. :-)

Whitecat8 how I do all but 1 of my terrariums is I put barely damp spagnum moss in the bottom of the terrarium and then each orchid is in a small clay pot and arranged on top of the spagnum. This way each orchid has its own medium it needs and can be cared for separately. Closed off like I do it the spagnum comes alive and I have a mini ecosystem in each terrarium.

You can tell if its set up and running fine by that during the night condensation forms on the cold side of the container. Usually this means the side closest to the window. During the day when bright light or sunlight hits the terrarium condensation covers the complete inside glass. At night this disappears to only the cold side of the container. So during the day lots of humidity and the plants love it!

The one terrarium I have that is planted with soil is the 1 I water usually once a year. I put those clay balls for orchids on bottom about a half inch thick as the first layer. You could also use orchid bark or anything that will keep the soil from being in direct contact with possible water that may form from the condensation. Next layer is a mix of potting soil, large aquarium charcoal, a bit of small orchid bark mix and perlite. I mix the soil concoction outside of the terrarium and get it damp,,,not wet or heavy with water. The plants don't need much water because of the humidity and the condensation sliding down the terrarium is sufficient to keep the soil mix damp for long periods when its closed off. I planted this soil terrarium with low light creeping type plants,,,ivy, pepperomia's and pelia's which crawl and in time have covered the soil. Ive had this particular terrarium going 6 yrs. now. When the plants reach the top of the lid and start curling over I nip those parts off and let them start its journey again.

I use antique jars, candy dishes with lids, plastic lidded candy containers you see at quick shops (I ask them to save them for me) and I have 2 big terrariums like you see in florist shops. I have 1 terrarium that is a table that the top lifts off (think cloche). The top portion is 2 ft. by 2 ft. square that sits on the grooved table. The groove helps seal tight the meeting of the terrarium to table. In this one I arrange the pots and have a clear cylinder filled with water that I keep an aquarium heater in. The heater keeps the water at a nice temp and helps the terrarium to make humidity, condensation and keeps the plants warm. This one sits in a bedroom that gets a bit cold in winter since its on the north side of my home.

Sorry to be so windy and possibly bore the ones of you not interested in my methods. I could talk all day about growing terrariums because I love it so much and its so easy. Theres no worry when you leave on a vacation of coming home to dead plants! Been there done that with plants not in terrariums.

The link below I found on the net might be interesting to you also. Id be interested to hear other peoples ways of growing in terrariums too! Feel free to jump on in.,,,,Debbie

Here is a link that might be useful: Setting up a terrarium

Comments (7)