SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
me_171

Regarding a watering schedule.

me_171
16 years ago

I have been thinking, and when I do this I sometimes take it to far. For example I spent about 2 hours the other day contemplating why outside doors to houses always open in. But that is a topic for another discussion.

This time I was thinking about my watering schedule or rather my obsessively strict schedule followed by a period of neglect and only watering when I have time.

Apparently my orchids prefer this. When they get a routine watering they eventually seem to stall. Then as my life gets busy I neglect watering for 2 weeks or more, then get back on the wagon and take "good" care again.

I try to water weekly for all of them (except mountings and masdies who get a spray every day... usually).

After the period of neglect they seem to start on a growing rampage again and sometimes this results in new spikes.

Am I causing stress resulting in the orchid responding by trying to reproduce and grow as much as it can when nutrients are available...probably.

As to adverse effect I see none. I have not lost any bulbs maybe a few old leaves but nothing abnormal.

Instead of staggering my watering based on the orchids needs I have adjusted potting media and pot type so that they end up at their different points of preferred dryness by the end of the week. So I think about how dry it really is often.

So my theory is that pots rarely get as dry as we think they are near the center and where most of the roots are. So that one that likes to be dry before watering is never really dry.

My Dends. have almost no media and are in very open shallow small pots and they still are slightly moist at the center after 12-14 days.

The dilemma is if they are not given fresh water often enough there is stagnate water that may encourage rot. so we probably over water so as to provide fresh water. I know the trick to really avoid rot is to have high light, I have done this and have had no rot since.

What I suggest is a mix between periods of regular watering followed by dry out periods. (As I describe nothing sever of course)

This process seems to cause a boost in growth when they finally get the water they need.

I don't know if this makes much sense but I am interested in hearing others input.

Comments (19)