SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jann_1986

Orchid is dying :-(

jann_1986
14 years ago

Hi everyone out there! I desperately need some help to save my favorite white purple orchid. It is about 4 to 5 yrs old. It had been very healthy & blooms twice a yr & has 3 inch(in diameter) sized flowers & the leaves are 7-8 x 2-2.5 inch in size. Each blooms will last for over half an year. (Sorry I forgot the name) Two month ago, when the other orchids begin to have grown flower buds for a while, this one didn't have sign of new growth, so I transplanted it using SCHULTZ Orchid Mix after soaking for 24 hours. After transplanting it didn't grow anything but lost two to 3 big leaves. Today, as i want to save it by transplanting it again, I found the root does not look too good.(pic taken for this reason) I want to know if my favorite orchid still have a chance to be saved according the pic, my descriptions and your expertise. If it can be saved, Would someone kindly teach me how to do it. I will hate to see a orchid to die. thanks for your hlep!!! pictures are at: http://wuhanleizixi.spaces.live.com/

Here is a link that might be useful: My Orchid Is Sick, Please Help!

Comments (23)

• xmpraedicta
    14 years ago

Hi
    What you have is a phalaenopsis. In my opinion, transplanting is not a good way to save a sick plant, unless you specifically know that the problem is in the media.

The crown looks a little rotten - I would soak in a fungicidal solution (physan20 works great) and something with a rooting stimulant (superthrive is recommended by some people) and then put it in a zip lock bag with some sphagnum moss. Put in a warm place with a bit of diffuse sunlight and hope for the best!

• jann_1986
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Calvin_orchidlover, I love orchids too. That's why is so sad to see a orchid gets sick and you know nothing to save it. Kind like your little baby gets sick, right? Anyway, thanks for your prompt reply to my problem, and thanks for your advice. I went out tonight bought a bag of sheet moss, there is other kind is Spanish moss, that's all they got. I would like to know if sheet moss is ok to go in the zip bag with the orchid late, otherwise i will go to find sphagnum moss as well as the fungicidal solution tomorrow. I really hope my favorite orchid will survive. Thanks for your help, you have a pleasant evening.

• Related Discussions

How to care for my orchid? Buds dying =(

Q

Comments (3)
    I read through some of the other posts but I still haven't found any information on whether or not it is ok to replant while it is flowering. So far I have moved it into the bedroom where I leave the shades open all day so it gets lots of light. Since the first buds fell no others have started to shrivel up, so I guess it was just a blast from the cold in my apartment, but it seems to have settled in now. I am still concerned about the pot though, since it has no hole in the bottom. Can anybody tell me if I can replant it now, or if that will destroy the flowers currently in bloom?
    ...See More

My orchid is dying! HELP!

Q

Comments (6)
    Phew! It's good to hear everyone say it looks fine. But I will note, the stem itself seems to have gotten much lighter on the top half by the blooms. Is that normal when the blooms die? Also, if someone can help me to identify the exact type of orchid this is, I'd like to do more research! Like what time of year it's meant to bloom, etc. To answer your questions Arthur, I have had the plant since early February. I did note some of it's growing conditions in my first post of this thread, not sure what else to tell you except I live in central Ohio. During the cooler months, it was kept between 60-70 degrees in it's room. Now that it's warmer the window it sits next to is constantly open, so it's been between 60-90+ degrees. Yet another question: should I repot? There's no drainage in the pot it's in now, but it's never been a problem. Also, if I do repot, do I fertilize? If anyone could share their knowledge or a link to "repotting for dummies", I know my special orchid would appreciate it!
    ...See More

My Orchids are Dying ....Please Help!

Q

Comments (6)
    looks like they have severe root rot. Orchids like lots of air circulation around their roots. When you watered, did you drain out the water after letting them sit for a few minutes? Or did you just pour in the 1/3 cup of water and leave it? When I water my orchid, I fill up the decorative pot with water and let it soak for about 5 minutes and then take out the plastic pot and dump out the excess water and then I let the plant drip over the sink for a minute or two. Repot it in a mix composed mostly of large chunks of bark. Just stay away from miracle gro products. Is there a plastic pot inside of your decorative pots like you see in the photo? I hope that I was helpful! Good luck! Jason
    ...See More

Mini Phal Orchid Spike Dying off at Middle

Q

Comments (1)
    It is odd that it would yellow in the middle off the stem. Maybe it was damaged somehow by an insect or was bent at some point? I think I would leave it and enjoy the flowers. If it starts expanding toward the plant cut it off.
    ...See More
  • orchid_123
    14 years ago

I don't know about sheet moss...I don't think it's commonly used for orchids. But if it retains water but isn't too wet (dries out after a few days), then it'll be OK for emergency purposes. Sphagnum moss is the preferred kind. Wrap it loosely around the roots. Also aerate the bag regularly so the air doesn't get stale. The purpose now is to keep humidity high.

Just wondering, did you ever repot the plant (not counting this time)? Orchid media, especially bark, breaks down over time, and can suffocate and damage the roots. It takes 1-2 yrs to break down. Normally orchids are repotted in the spring when new roots show up.

It looks like the roots are rotted. Phals get root rot pretty easily if you're not careful (I think I killed my first phal, so I know the feeling). But I don't mean to discourage you! I had another phal that fully recovered and even bloomed. It looks like the leaves aren't too wrinkled, which is good. Yours still might have some hope--it still has five roots. As said above, just treat with fungicide and don't keep it "too" wet (don't want crown rot too). Wish you best of luck!

• jann_1986
    Original Author
    14 years ago

orchid_123, thanks for your reply! I will definitely go out to get the right kind moss, like calvin_orchidlover and you said: sphagnum moss today. I am new to this lovely orchid web discussion page, kind new to growing orchid as well.(I have 5 lovely orchids at home) So I will have to learn from each of you here to make a better life for my orchids in the future. I already have a feeling I like this website. People sounded honest, caring, generous, and very helpful when bad things happen to any of our members, no matter to their orchid or to a indivisual. (I have read some discussions yesterday when search for needed information)So I am very cheerful that I've found the help I needed and found this lovely group of people who are all orchid and plant lovers. I certainly will come here more frequently. Thanks for your help, appreciated very much!

• jann_1986
    Original Author
    14 years ago

orchid_123, I forgot to mention this that I didn't repot it till like 4 yrs later since i bought it, which is just about 2 to 3 month ago. The reason I repoted it is that it was not doing well. the pop-up roots rotted mainly on one side of the pot. (it bloomed last spring through the summer though) I felt this was something wrong with the whole pot so i thought i should repot. But just found out few days ago that my repotting didn't work. It got worse than before. that is why I am here searching for some help. I am already soaking the orchid mix yesterday for 2nd repotting, but due to the advices i received from this discussion site, I don't thinging I will repot it till it recovers and has new growth comes out, right? So, guess I should take the barks out to dry now. Oh, by the way, can you tell me what kind orchid mix is the best brand of orchid mix? I don't think Schultz is very good for phal, just my personal experience.

• jann_1986
    Original Author
    14 years ago

calvin_orchidlover, I called Lows and Home Depot for physan 20, they don't have it. I went to Canadidan Tire to look for it today, but the manager for that department said they have not got it, they only have Garden Fungicide. So it comes back to your suggestion of physan 20, could I use Green Earth (Brand) Garden Fungicide, spraying it instead? Do I have other options if Garden Fungicide is not good enough for this purpose? Also, should I dip the roos into the stimulating powder before it goes in the zip bag? I am orchid grower 101, I could use all your suggestions. Thanks a lot!

• xmpraedicta
    14 years ago

Ah Jann didn't know you were a fellow canuck! Sadly lots of the things our friends down south find readily, we can only procure with much difficulty.

Orchid mixes are very tricky, because every brand will sell itself as the best, and every good grower will suggest a different mix. The mix must fit your conditions and more importantly your watering habits. I suck at watering, so I put things in pure sphagnum/coconut which holds water for longer. Everything dies in bark for me.

Not sure if root stimulating powder works - my experiences with it have not been good because the powder is not water soluble. Some people try soaking the roots in sugar water (1 tbspn / litre) to help. Not sure if this actually works.

The point is, you can either pull the plant out of the pot and put it in a bag with some moist sphagnum moss and hope that the warm humid conditions will help new roots grow. Or, you can leave it in the pot it is in right now, water by soaking (allowing the bark to get nearly completely dry all the way through) and hope new roots grow. However, this may be a bit too much trouble to save a plant. Any chance you can get a replacement easily? Even the best growers have problems rerooting plants on the decline, especially if you live somewhere that doesn't have nice buoyant warm breezes and soft warm rain showers (aka not canada)

• jann_1986
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi calvin, I did find sphagnum moss on my 3nd shopping today of saving an orchid mission. This time I called the Canadian Tire on west end of the city first, I can't believe to hear they got it. My husband and I rushed there and got a big bag. There are only two bags left. So I soaked some for a whole night last night, probably will wrap around the roots and put it into a clear and clean plastic bag really soon since the largest zip bag does not fit. I will give the sphagnum moss a chance too on my repotting. I still have two more question though, how long the moss should be soaked exactly? should I drain the water till no more drips? A fellow canadian from Windsor,ahh.

• kathy_h_grower
    14 years ago

Hi
    I'm Canadian also! Didn't know there was this many of us here!
    Jann, I got this recipe from a different orchid forum. They said it was real good for "sick" orchids. I haven't tried it yet but it doesn't look to have anything that would hurt.

3/4 cup sugar
    1 finely crushed vitamin (Centrum)
    1/2 tsp epsom salt
    1/2 - 1 tsp dishwashing soap
    Mix all togather submerge plant & all for 4 hrs. drain, Dip towel in solution then wring out till just damp. Wrap plant in towel and place in a warm place overnight. Remove from towel, rinse with tepid water, to remove resdue sugar. Replant.

As I said I haven't tried it but if one of my plants as unwell would.

Kathy in Cold Manitoba!

• xmpraedicta
    14 years ago

Interesting technique, Kathy!

• knick-knack
    14 years ago

From your pics, it has a good chance of surviving... Once you have it replanted in your preferred media, try to keep the plant under a grow light for 10 hours or more and keep it as close as possible (12" - 20" away) to the light source but make sure the leaves do not get too warm (when touched).

Good luck!

• ginnibug
    14 years ago

Hey everyone,I hope you're having a good day!Everyone is pretty spot on with their comments. Let me add my 2cents worth. I looked at your plant,I think it has a really good chance.

Ok I am really bad on watering like Calvin. I grow my phals in straight spaghnum moss(fresh spaghnum has a antibacterial quality, added bonus).By "fresh Spaghnum" I mean the stuff you just took out of the bag,It hasn't been watered repeatedly over the last year. You get an added boost from the spagh,it initiates new root growth. I have tried the "spagh in a bag" method it failed miserably for me. I pot my phals up in straight spaghnum that is the correct size for the roots,that means even if the leaves are big the pot must be smaller if you don't have that many roots. I soak my moss for awhile(until it feels good and wet,it usually only takes a hour). Then I squeeze it out before I put it in the pot. I would put granite chips in the bottom of the pot to give it weight. If you can anchor the plant into place with like hair pins or a pot clip,that always helps the plant. If you want to increase the humidity put a big zip-lock bag over the top of it,Like a tent. If I were you I think I might put a heating pad on low under the pot too. All my plants are in their light garden in the basement on heating pads. The pads make them very happy in the chilly basement.
    Kathy's vitamin treatment seems like it might help,I don't know how well the vitamins will be picked up since they're made for human consumption not plant consumption;but it's worth a try. Hope my take on it helps.Ginnibug

• xmpraedicta
    14 years ago

I too have heard great things about heating pads and bottom heat for stimulating new growth. One thing you might want to try if the sphagnum is too dense, is to mix a little bit of perlite in with it. The stuff doesn't hold much water but really puffs up the moss.

As Gin mentioned squeeze the moss after soaking until it feels like a moist/damp sponge, not sopping wet.

• ginnibug
    14 years ago

I think the other important thing that I forgot the mention earlier is that I wait until the moss is just about all the way dry before watering again. I prefer clear pots so I can see whats going on it that pot. You can tell what kind of moisture you have left in there. But I would assume if you are having trouble readily getting moss,you will be hard pressed to find clear pots.

One other thing, if all you can find is the garden fungicide try it. See if you can find the 3-1 fungicide and bug control. You can also dust any trimming that you need to do with cinnamon,it has certain beneficial qualities.

At some point you'll just have to break down and order your other needs online.

• orchid126
    14 years ago

One thing to remember: if the product label says it's okay for roses, it's okay for orchids.

• jann_1986
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Kathy, thank you for your recipe. Eventhough this orchid is already treated & sitting in the ziploc now, but I will definite give your recipe a try if any of my other orchids needs to be treated when they are sick. If it works that will be a well-learned lesson which is a bonus, right? Well....you keep warm & enjoy the very cold Manitoba winter, kathy.

Here is a link that might be useful: My orchid is sick, please help

• jann_1986
    Original Author
    14 years ago

My sincere thanks to everyone who has come to my rescure mission by giving suggessions and showing concerns/good wishes. I feel I have found the right place looking for help. I think I will just stick around.

So far the orchid is treated and sitting in the ziploc to recover. I check it everyday and have not seen anything worse than it was before. I hope it will be okay.

Good night!

Here is a link that might be useful: My Orchid Is Sick, Please Help!

• jann_1986
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Kathy, I have one orchid is having the same problem as the previous one, because most of my orchids were bought during those couple of years. I like to explore the option you offered with sugar, centrum, salt, dish detergent solution. I just want to make sure I got this right, do you put any water in, or just the solid solution as it is in your recipe?

Jann from Windsor, Ontario where is -2 today

• jann_1986
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hello everyone out there,I hope you all had a good weekend. It's kindly sad that the orchid I tried to save has died & I saw its two very green leaves fall off in the zip bag tonight. The few roots are still green and intact, but there is little bit white-creamy-looking stuff on the trunk. Will the trunk with roots grow without leaves? I know is not possible, but still like to ask. Thank you!

• highjack
    14 years ago

No it is time to throw it away - sorry.

Brooke

• jann_1986
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you all very much for your commments and ideals! The latest status report is that one of my orchid is died; another four, I repotted them in sphagnum filled clear pots since all of them have few roots rotted and died. They are placed in the southwest location by the window & look quite ok. One is continueing blooming, one is growing a new leave, and another one is getting more buds on the branch. I took one of your advice, dusted all the roots and branches with cinnamon before I did repotting. Hope they will be okay for another couple of yrs.

• smwboxer
    14 years ago

Please do not dust "all the roots" with cinnamon. Used like that, the cinnamon will dry the roots and prevent them form absorbing watere. Only dust new cuts with cinnamon.

• orchid126
    14 years ago

Did anyone mention not to leave water in the crown? If any water gets in the crown get a tissue or paper towel and blot it right away as standing water in the crown can cause crown rot.